Exchange/NT/Outlook - Cannot change password

Exchange/NT/Outlook - Cannot change password

Post by Patrick Ouelle » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello there,

Here is the situation: we have an exchange 5.5 SP2 server running on nt 4.0
SP5 server.  All the users are using Outlook 98 (8.5.5104.6).  All the
exchange mailboxes have a seperate nt account (same username), set as domain
user, password never expires, users can change password.

The problem: When they run Outlook, a dialog box opens to enter the
username, domain and password.  Some people can change their password,
others cannot.  They get this message (french): "Votre mot de passe Windows
NT n'a pu tre chang".  Contr?ler l'information et ressayer", wich could
translate to: "Your Windows NT Password could not be changed, verify the
entered information and try again".  I can't seem to find why some people
can't change their password, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick Ouellet
Universit du Qubec Trois-Rivires
Service de l'informatique

ICQ#: 13417521

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Here is the situation: we have an exchange 5.5 SP2 server running on nt 4.0
>SP5 server.  All the users are using Outlook 98 (8.5.5104.6).  All the
>exchange mailboxes have a seperate nt account (same username), set as domain
>user, password never expires, users can change password.

>The problem: When they run Outlook, a dialog box opens to enter the
>username, domain and password.  Some people can change their password,
>others cannot.  They get this message (french): "Votre mot de passe Windows
>NT n'a pu tre chang".  Contr?ler l'information et ressayer", wich could
>translate to: "Your Windows NT Password could not be changed, verify the
>entered information and try again".  I can't seem to find why some people
>can't change their password, so any help would be much appreciated.

To change their password they must be able to contact the PDC. If
either WINS or LMHOSTS files provide insufficient, or incorrect,
information to the client software this may be impossible.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Exchange/NT/Outlook - Cannot change password

[...]

2. Plam Pilot to Exchange Server

3. Cannot change NT password from Outlook for Exchange

4. Newbie Admin with STUPID question

5. Out look Web Access problem need help

6. Down grading version of Exchange

7. Windows NT Password cannot be changed in Outlook 98

8. Cannot change Windows NT password from Outlook 97 for Macintosh

9. Cannot change Exchange / NT ID password

10. Cannot change NT password from Exchange client