connecting to an external mail server using the IMS-connector

connecting to an external mail server using the IMS-connector

Post by F.Debruyn » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm trying to get mail from an external Internet Mail Server using the
Internet Mail Service  of MSExchangeServer 5.5. I installed the IMS
connector. I configured it as good as my little knowledge concerning these
things allowed me to. Right now I am as far as connecting with the ISP via a
dial-up connection.
The problem I have is that I never receive any mail from the external mail
server, in that that the connection always times out. The time out interval
is set to 2 minutes, so that should be the problem. Besides I tried it on 5
minutes as well.
How can I tell ExchangeServer where to look for email. Now I'm using the
Security tab (IMS-configuration screen), and the SASL/SSL option. Then I
clicked on the change button and filled out the usual POP account stuff,
i.e. account and password. The external ISP mail server is a POP3.
I hope someone can give me some hints. I don't know much about configuring
mail servers etc, so any information is welcome.
thanks,

connecting to an external mail server using the IMS-connector

Post by Admi » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>I'm trying to get mail from an external Internet Mail Server using the
>Internet Mail Service  of MSExchangeServer 5.5. I installed the IMS
>connector. I configured it as good as my little knowledge concerning these
>things allowed me to. Right now I am as far as connecting with the ISP via a
>dial-up connection.

etc..

Fred,

Think your problem may be thus:

Exchange is an SMTP server, this means basically it pushes messages to
SMTP clients such as Outlook/exchange.

A POP3 server/account does none of the message pushing. Instead it
sits and waits until a POP3 client dials in with a mail username and
password and "pulls" the messages down.

From what I can tell in your message, you are trying to dial into a
POP3 server with exchange to retrieve mail. This could be why it
timeout because it is waiting for login info.

Exchange can function as a POP3 server, but not a POP3 client.

However, you can download a little shareware program called pullmail
which dials into a POP3 server and diverts the mail from the account
to an SMTP server such as exchange. Search for it at www.shareware.com
or www.download.com.

If you have only dialup, you may have to connect first to the ISP,
then run the program, so it won't be automated.

Let me know if this helps.