Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Paul Enge » Sun, 20 May 2001 09:09:09

I have Exchange running on our WinNT4.0 machine. (SBS) It has been great
since the initial install 2.5 years ago. We do NOT use it as our internet
mail server. It is used for our internal email accounts and acts as a POP
intermediary to send and receive mail that has been addressed to internet
addresses.

In the middle of the day today, a strange thing happened. All outgoing
internet email from all our clients (running OL2K) got an immediate Systems
Administrator email indicating that the outgoing email could not be sent.
(The System Admin email came almost simultaneous to hitting the send
button...so I'm pretty sure the problem was sourced in Exchange.) I was able
to send email from my Outlook Express software, which simply uses our
internet pipe through the network. I was also able to receive internet mail
on my Outlook 2K that I sent from my Outlook Express. So, it seems that the
only problem is in the send part of the equation. The error message was:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients
Subject: test
Sent: 5/18/2001 5:38 PM

 then the email address was shown w/ the date
    No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient

And on one, the final tag line was:
    The recipient has been deleted or has no e-mail address
(On this one, I had typed the name counting on OL2K to fill in the address
from my address book. It appears that it didn't get that done before I sent
it.)

Does anyone know where I should start looking for the problem? Anyone ever
experienced this before?

--
Regards,
Paul

---------------------------------------
The future masters of technology will need to be lighthearted and
intelligent; the machine easily masters the grim and the dumb.
-Dr. Marshall McLuhan, c. 1969
---------------------------------------

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Source Imaging, LLC.
Paul Engel

Voice: 859-255-5222
Fax: 859-514-1705
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Lanwenc » Sun, 20 May 2001 11:51:39

So you are using the (included) 3rd party Exchange POP connector for SBS,
right? It sounds like this got hosed somehow - a service blew up or
something. I'd go through all the settings to see what gives. Any recent
changes on the server that you can think of?

> I have Exchange running on our WinNT4.0 machine. (SBS) It has been great
> since the initial install 2.5 years ago. We do NOT use it as our internet
> mail server. It is used for our internal email accounts and acts as a POP
> intermediary to send and receive mail that has been addressed to internet
> addresses.

> In the middle of the day today, a strange thing happened. All outgoing
> internet email from all our clients (running OL2K) got an immediate
Systems
> Administrator email indicating that the outgoing email could not be sent.
> (The System Admin email came almost simultaneous to hitting the send
> button...so I'm pretty sure the problem was sourced in Exchange.) I was
able
> to send email from my Outlook Express software, which simply uses our
> internet pipe through the network. I was also able to receive internet
mail
> on my Outlook 2K that I sent from my Outlook Express. So, it seems that
the
> only problem is in the send part of the equation. The error message was:

> Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Paul Enge » Sun, 20 May 2001 22:05:30

Our server was set up by a local networking group. I have never become a
POWER administrator. I do the basics. So, I'm not sure exactly how I would
go about going through the settings. Where do they expose themselves?

I did nothing to the server...but it could have gotten hosed some other way.
I did go into the services control panel, saw an internet mail service that
was off and set to manual. I tried start it, but it gave me a message that
it couldn't be started.

Paul

> So you are using the (included) 3rd party Exchange POP connector for SBS,
> right? It sounds like this got hosed somehow - a service blew up or
> something. I'd go through all the settings to see what gives. Any recent
> changes on the server that you can think of?

> > I have Exchange running on our WinNT4.0 machine. (SBS) It has been great
> > since the initial install 2.5 years ago. We do NOT use it as our
internet
> > mail server. It is used for our internal email accounts and acts as a
POP
> > intermediary to send and receive mail that has been addressed to
internet
> > addresses.

> > In the middle of the day today, a strange thing happened. All outgoing
> > internet email from all our clients (running OL2K) got an immediate
> Systems
> > Administrator email indicating that the outgoing email could not be
sent.
> > (The System Admin email came almost simultaneous to hitting the send
> > button...so I'm pretty sure the problem was sourced in Exchange.) I was
> able
> > to send email from my Outlook Express software, which simply uses our
> > internet pipe through the network. I was also able to receive internet
> mail
> > on my Outlook 2K that I sent from my Outlook Express. So, it seems that
> the
> > only problem is in the send part of the equation. The error message was:

> > Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Lanwenc » Sun, 20 May 2001 22:26:20

There's your problem right there. Without this service running, Exchange
can't communicate with the Internet. What was the error message? Go to the
server's event log - check out the application log for errors related to
this service, and any other errors you see. Post what you find.

> Our server was set up by a local networking group. I have never become a
> POWER administrator. I do the basics. So, I'm not sure exactly how I would
> go about going through the settings. Where do they expose themselves?

> I did nothing to the server...but it could have gotten hosed some other
way.
> I did go into the services control panel, saw an internet mail service
that
> was off and set to manual. I tried start it, but it gave me a message that
> it couldn't be started.

> Paul

> > So you are using the (included) 3rd party Exchange POP connector for
SBS,
> > right? It sounds like this got hosed somehow - a service blew up or
> > something. I'd go through all the settings to see what gives. Any recent
> > changes on the server that you can think of?

> > > I have Exchange running on our WinNT4.0 machine. (SBS) It has been
great
> > > since the initial install 2.5 years ago. We do NOT use it as our
> internet
> > > mail server. It is used for our internal email accounts and acts as a
> POP
> > > intermediary to send and receive mail that has been addressed to
> internet
> > > addresses.

> > > In the middle of the day today, a strange thing happened. All outgoing
> > > internet email from all our clients (running OL2K) got an immediate
> > Systems
> > > Administrator email indicating that the outgoing email could not be
> sent.
> > > (The System Admin email came almost simultaneous to hitting the send
> > > button...so I'm pretty sure the problem was sourced in Exchange.) I
was
> > able
> > > to send email from my Outlook Express software, which simply uses our
> > > internet pipe through the network. I was also able to receive internet
> > mail
> > > on my Outlook 2K that I sent from my Outlook Express. So, it seems
that
> > the
> > > only problem is in the send part of the equation. The error message
> > > Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Paul Enge » Sun, 20 May 2001 23:41:07

Thanks for your help. I probably won't have access to the server until
tomorrow. I'll keep posting as I learn more.

Paul

> There's your problem right there. Without this service running, Exchange
> can't communicate with the Internet. What was the error message? Go to the
> server's event log - check out the application log for errors related to
> this service, and any other errors you see. Post what you find.

> > Our server was set up by a local networking group. I have never become a
> > POWER administrator. I do the basics. So, I'm not sure exactly how I
would
> > go about going through the settings. Where do they expose themselves?

> > I did nothing to the server...but it could have gotten hosed some other
> way.
> > I did go into the services control panel, saw an internet mail service
> that
> > was off and set to manual. I tried start it, but it gave me a message
that
> > it couldn't be started.

> > Paul

in

> > > So you are using the (included) 3rd party Exchange POP connector for
> SBS,
> > > right? It sounds like this got hosed somehow - a service blew up or
> > > something. I'd go through all the settings to see what gives. Any
recent
> > > changes on the server that you can think of?

> great
> > internet
> > POP
> > internet

> > > Systems
> > sent.
> was
> > > able
> > > mail
> that
> > > the

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Paul Enge » Mon, 21 May 2001 00:49:47

This may be a stupid question, but how would the inbound work if the
outbound doesn't? Does OL2K treat them differently, polling the POP for
incoming w/out using Exchange, but requiring the outbound to go through some
Exchange service? It would seem that if one were broken they would both be
broken.

Further to that, although I haven't tested it, it would seem that if I went
offline in OL2K, which it is set up to do since it is a laptop, and used
dial-up to my ISP, I would expect the internet email to go. So, wouldn't my
outbound while online just be using the pipe? (I guess not.) Any insights
would be helpful on how this is working so I can noodle through the
behavior.

Paul

> There's your problem right there. Without this service running, Exchange
> can't communicate with the Internet. What was the error message? Go to the
> server's event log - check out the application log for errors related to
> this service, and any other errors you see. Post what you find.

> > Our server was set up by a local networking group. I have never become a
> > POWER administrator. I do the basics. So, I'm not sure exactly how I
would
> > go about going through the settings. Where do they expose themselves?

> > I did nothing to the server...but it could have gotten hosed some other
> way.
> > I did go into the services control panel, saw an internet mail service
> that
> > was off and set to manual. I tried start it, but it gave me a message
that
> > it couldn't be started.

> > Paul

in

> > > So you are using the (included) 3rd party Exchange POP connector for
> SBS,
> > > right? It sounds like this got hosed somehow - a service blew up or
> > > something. I'd go through all the settings to see what gives. Any
recent
> > > changes on the server that you can think of?

> great
> > internet
> > POP
> > internet

> > > Systems
> > sent.
> was
> > > able
> > > mail
> that
> > > the

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Lanwenc » Mon, 21 May 2001 22:35:58

1. Exchange: If you were using straight SMTP mail (without this POP client),
it wouldn't work - service stops, internet mail stops. However, it's likely
that this POP software is doing something here.
2. Outlook: if you were to dial up to your ISP while offline in Outlook, to
send and receive mail you'd have to have the Internet Mail Service loaded in
Outlook. Check in Tools | Services and see what you have there. You
shouldn't have anything except Exchange Server service and Outlook Address
book, if it's been done properly.

It may be time to have someone re-configure your server and get rid of this
POP software. What kind of Internet connection do you have at work?

> This may be a stupid question, but how would the inbound work if the
> outbound doesn't? Does OL2K treat them differently, polling the POP for
> incoming w/out using Exchange, but requiring the outbound to go through
some
> Exchange service? It would seem that if one were broken they would both be
> broken.

> Further to that, although I haven't tested it, it would seem that if I
went
> offline in OL2K, which it is set up to do since it is a laptop, and used
> dial-up to my ISP, I would expect the internet email to go. So, wouldn't
my
> outbound while online just be using the pipe? (I guess not.) Any insights
> would be helpful on how this is working so I can noodle through the
> behavior.

> Paul

> > There's your problem right there. Without this service running, Exchange
> > can't communicate with the Internet. What was the error message? Go to
the
> > server's event log - check out the application log for errors related to
> > this service, and any other errors you see. Post what you find.

> > > Our server was set up by a local networking group. I have never become
> > > POWER administrator. I do the basics. So, I'm not sure exactly how I
> would
> > > go about going through the settings. Where do they expose themselves?

> > > I did nothing to the server...but it could have gotten hosed some
other
> > way.
> > > I did go into the services control panel, saw an internet mail service
> > that
> > > was off and set to manual. I tried start it, but it gave me a message
> that
> > > it couldn't be started.

> > > Paul

wrote
> in

> > SBS,
> recent

> > great
> > > internet
> > > POP
> > > internet

> outgoing
> > > sent.
> > was
> our
> internet
> > that

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Paul Enge » Tue, 22 May 2001 00:29:34

This is the intriguing thing. It is my recollection that we decided to set
up the systems as follows:
Local email through Exchange using the Global Address Book
Client email through OL2K Internet e-Mail Service

I have checked my Client PC and in fact do have the Exchange, Address Book
and Internet e-Mail Service. I dialed up and sent email fine. The reason for
the internet e-mail service as the email provider on the Clients was that
they travel. Need to be able to have the same account do all it's email from
the same point irrespective of where we are or if we are off-line to
Exchange or on-line.

To support this at the office, we have a Server PC that is dedicated to our
DSL connection. Our main Server is connected to a second Network Card in the
DSL machine, thus hiding it from the world. It is my view that we
effectively have an open pipe to the internet via our DSL line from all
clients. They get to it by virtue of being on the network.

One theory that I have is that my ISP may have had a single outgoing smtp
pipe down. I looked this morning and noticed that my OL2K, which is set up
under this ISP as a business account, was set to a different smtp address
than my OLE. This could have explained why one worked outbound and the other
did not. I have a call in to them to see if my Business account smtp
connection may have been down for a short period of time yesterday.

I'll run to the office today and test. Thanks again. I'll feel pretty
sheepish if it turns out to be the SMTP issue. Shoulda looked at that first!

Paul
"Lanwench" <lanwe...@dont.even.think.about.spamming.me.yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:u4GQPHT4AHA.2164@tkmsftngp07...

> [...]

> > dial-up to my ISP, I would expect the internet email to go. So, wouldn't
> my
> > outbound while online just be using the pipe? (I guess not.) Any
insights
> > would be helpful on how this is working so I can noodle through the
> > behavior.

> > Paul
> > "Lanwench" <lanwe...@dont.even.think.about.spamming.me.yahoo.com> wrote
in
> > message news:uD5bMdG4AHA.1276@tkmsftngp03...
> > > There's your problem right there. Without this service running,
Exchange
> > > can't communicate with the Internet. What was the error message? Go to
> the
> > > server's event log - check out the application log for errors related
> > > this service, and any other errors you see. Post what you find.

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Lanwenc » Tue, 22 May 2001 03:58:18

Oh, duh, I just re-read your original post and saw that you'd written that
the IMS was set to Manual. Sorry, that should have been a clue (although if
you aren't using the internet mail service in Exchange, it's better not to
install the connector at all). I really shouldn't attempt to post replies
when I'm sleepy.

So all your Internet mail is being handled by Outlook. This can be
problematic, but can work. Make sure that the delivery order in Outlook is
set to Internet Mail Service first. Otherwise, OL will try to send all mail
to the Exchange server, and the Exchange server will have nothing it can do
with it. Otherwise, the problem might've been with your provider (or your
connection to it). Any news from them?

A better solution for you might be to set up Exchange to communicate with
the Internet with SMTP. Then either allow your roaming clients POP access to
the server (which wouldn't give them access to their calendars or anything
besides mail) or set up VPN or RAS to allow them to connect to Exchange.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the confusion.

> [...]

for
> > > incoming w/out using Exchange, but requiring the outbound to go
through
> > some
> > > Exchange service? It would seem that if one were broken they would
both
> be
> > > broken.

> > > Further to that, although I haven't tested it, it would seem that if I
> > went
> > > offline in OL2K, which it is set up to do since it is a laptop, and
used
> > > dial-up to my ISP, I would expect the internet email to go. So,
wouldn't
> > my
> > > outbound while online just be using the pipe? (I guess not.) Any
> insights
> > > would be helpful on how this is working so I can noodle through the

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Paul Enge » Tue, 22 May 2001 05:48:27

Bad news. I'm guilty of guessing how my system is set up. I tried again at
work to send outbound and had the same misfortune. I am here now and looked
at my event log. I found some INTERESTING things:

Starting at 5:30 friday night...just before my email started bouncing:
MSExchangeIS ((532) ) System parameter preferred version pages was changed
from 3888 to 3262 due to physical memory limitation.

Unable to get the AppleTalk network address of the Microsoft Exchange Server
computer.

Information store limited to 16 GB.

Microsoft Exchange Server MTA Service startup complete, version 5.5 (build
2448.1). [BASE IL MAIN BASE 33 490] (14)

Initializing the POP3 external interface.

Initializing the NNTP external interface.

Initializing the IMAP4 external interface.

Attempting to start the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.

Ready to accept clients on the POP3 interface.

Ready to accept clients on the IMAP4 interface

The Microsoft Exchange Information Store has started. Service startup
complete, version 5.5 (build 2448.8).

Unable to start the Internet Mail Service because the routing table could
not be read. Wait a few minutes to allow any routing table updates to
complete and then try to start it again. If this problem persists, check the
configuration on the Connections and Address Space pages of the Internet
Mail Service properties.
Then, when I try to manually start my internet service I get the following
error:
When attempting to start the service: Could not start eh Microsoft Exchange
Internet Mail Service service on \\SERV01. Error 2140: An internal Windows
NT error occurred.

I have snipped the App Event log file here and below that the system event
log;

=========snip================
5/18/01 5:45:50 PM ESE97 Warning System Parameter Settings  191 N/A SI01
MSExchangeIS ((557) ) System parameter preferred version pages was changed
from 3888 to 3262 due to physical memory limitation.
5/18/01 5:45:46 PM MSExchangeSA Information General  2042 N/A SI01 Unable to
get the AppleTalk network address of the Microsoft Exchange Server computer.
5/18/01 5:45:46 PM Backup Exec Catalog Server Information None 34305 N/A
SI01 Catalog server index C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx has been syncronized with catalog files in
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\.
5/18/01 5:45:45 PM MSExchangeDS Information Service Control  1000 N/A SI01
Started the Directory service.  Microsoft Exchange Server Directory service
startup is complete. Version 5.5 (build 2448.1).
5/18/01 5:45:45 PM MSExchangeDS Information LDAP Interface  1310 N/A SI01
The LDAP SSL server is starting on port number 636.
5/18/01 5:45:45 PM MSExchangeDS Information LDAP Interface  1305 N/A SI01
The LDAP server is starting on port number 389.
5/18/01 5:45:38 PM Backup Exec Catalog Server Information None 34304 N/A
SI01 Catalog server (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bengine.exe)
started.
   Catalog directory is C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\.
   Remote catalog server is SI01.
5/18/01 5:45:34 PM ESE97 Information General  100 N/A SI01 MSExchangeDS
((464) ) The database engine 05.2448.0002 started.
5/18/01 5:45:29 PM Backup Exec Information None 57796 N/A SI01 The Backup
Exec Server Service was started by SI\bexec.
5/18/01 5:45:26 PM MSExchangeSA Information General  1000 N/A SI01 Microsoft
Exchange System Attendant is starting. Microsoft Exchange Server System
Attendant, service startup complete, version 5.5 (build 2448.8).
5/18/01 5:45:26 PM Intel Alert Handler Information None 0 N/A SI01 Service
Initialized Successfully!
5/18/01 5:45:22 PM Intel Alert Originator Information None 0 N/A SI01
Service Initialized Successfully!
5/18/01 5:45:22 PM Intel Alert Originator Information None 0 N/A SI01 Intel
Alert Originator Manager loaded without security.
5/18/01 5:45:21 PM NT Fax Information Initialization/Termination  8193 N/A
SI01 The fax service is started.
5/18/01 5:45:20 PM Backup Exec Information None 33473 N/A SI01 Alert Server
has started.
5/18/01 5:45:18 PM JET Information General  8 N/A SI01  ((299) ) The
database engine 04.909.0000 started.
5/18/01 5:45:14 PM NSCTOP Information None 0 N/A SI01 The description for
Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( NSCTOP ) could not be found. It contains the
following insertion string(s): Service started..
5/18/01 5:45:11 PM Microsoft Search Information Search Service  1003 N/A
SI01 The Search service has started.
5/18/01 5:45:05 PM JET Information General  8 N/A SI01  ((152) ) The
database engine 04.909.0000 started.
5/18/01 5:45:04 PM Ci Success Audit CI Service  4097 N/A SI01 The CI service
has successfully started.
5/18/01 5:45:03 PM Backup Exec Information None 33344 N/A SI01 Notification
Server Started.
5/18/01 5:45:02 PM MSDTC Information SVC 4097 N/A SI01 MS DTC has started.
5/18/01 5:45:02 PM MSDTC Information CM 4156 N/A SI01 String message:
ProcID=0x66 Protocols On :21.
5/18/01 5:45:02 PM MSDTC Information CM 4156 N/A SI01 String message:
ProcID=0x66 Protocols On :21.
5/18/01 5:38:11 PM MSExchangeMTA Information X.400 Service  9298 N/A SI01
Microsoft Exchange Server MTA Service startup complete, version 5.5 (build
2448.1). [BASE IL MAIN BASE 33 490] (14)
5/18/01 5:37:54 PM MSExchangeMTA Information X.400 Service  9299 N/A SI01
Service closedown complete, version 5.5 (build 2448.1). [BASE IL MAIN BASE
33 490] (16)
5/18/01 5:37:09 PM MSExchangeIMC Error Initialization/Termination  4074 N/A
SI01 Unable to start the Internet Mail Service because the routing table
could not be read. Wait a few minutes to allow any routing table updates to
complete and then try to start it again. If this problem persists, check the
configuration on the Connections and Address Space pages of the Internet
Mail Service properties.
5/18/01 5:37:06 PM MSExchangeIMC Information Initialization/Termination
1004 N/A SI01 The Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service, version
5.5.2448.0, is starting.
5/18/01 5:34:08 PM MSExchangeIS Private Success Audit Logons  1016 N/A SI01
NT User SI\pengel logged on to Shawntrina Hawkins mailbox, and is not the
primary Windows NT account on this mailbox.
5/18/01 5:34:08 PM MSExchangeIS Private Success Audit Logons  1016 N/A SI01
NT User SI\pengel logged on to Tom Musgrave mailbox, and is not the primary
Windows NT account on this mailbox.
5/18/01 5:30:58 PM Perflib Error None 1008 N/A SI01 The Open Procedure for
service "MSSQLServer" in DLL "SQLCTR70.DLL" failed.  Performance data for
this service will not be available. Status code  returned is DWORD 0.
5/18/01 5:30:58 PM SQLCTR70 Error None 1001 N/A SI01 The description for
Event ID ( 1001 ) in Source ( SQLCTR70 ) could not be found. It contains the
following insertion string(s): SQL Performance DLL Open function failed..
5/18/01 5:30:58 PM SQLCTR70 Error None 1001 N/A SI01 The description for
Event ID ( 1001 ) in Source ( SQLCTR70 ) could not be found. It contains the
following insertion string(s): Unable to open shared memory segment..
5/18/01 5:30:54 PM Norton AntiVirus Information (2) 14 N/A SI01

Norton AntiVirus services startup was successful.
5/18/01 5:30:43 PM MSExchangeES Information General  8192 N/A SI01 No
registered folders were found to monitor.
5/18/01 5:30:35 PM Ci Information CI Service  4137 N/A SI01 CI has started
for catalog c:\inetpub\catalog.wci.
5/18/01 5:30:31 PM MSExchangeES None General  0 N/A SI01 The Microsoft
Exchange Event Service (5.5.2448.0) started successfully.
5/18/01 5:30:30 PM MSExchangeIS Public Information General  1001 N/A SI01
The Microsoft Exchange Information Store has started. Service startup
complete, version 5.5 (build 2448.8).
5/18/01 5:30:30 PM MSExchange NNTP Interface Information Configuration
11505 N/A SI01 Accept clients on the NNTP interface.
5/18/01 5:30:30 PM MSExchangeIS Public Information Replication General  3000
N/A SI01 The replication agent has started.
5/18/01 5:30:29 PM MSExchangeIS Public Information General  1000 N/A SI01
Attempting to start the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.
5/18/01 5:30:29 PM MSExchangeIS Private Information General  1001 N/A SI01
The Microsoft Exchange Information Store has started. Service startup
complete, version 5.5 (build 2448.8).
5/18/01 5:30:29 PM MSExchange IMAP4 Interface Information Configuration
11505 N/A SI01 Ready to accept clients on the IMAP4 interface.
5/18/01 5:30:29 PM MSExchange Pop3 Interface Information Configuration
11507 N/A SI01 Ready to accept clients on the POP3 interface.
5/18/01 5:30:28 PM MSExchangeIS Private Information General  1000 N/A SI01
Attempting to start the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.
5/18/01 5:30:28 PM MSExchange IMAP4 Interface Information Configuration
11500 N/A SI01 Initializing the IMAP4 external interface.
5/18/01 5:30:28 PM MSExchange NNTP Interface Information Configuration
11500 N/A SI01 Initializing the NNTP external interface.
5/18/01 5:30:28 PM MSExchange Pop3 Interface Information Configuration
11502 N/A SI01 Initializing the POP3 external interface.
5/18/01 5:30:12 PM MSExchangeMTA Information X.400 Service  9298 N/A SI01
Microsoft Exchange Server MTA Service startup complete, version 5.5 (build
2448.1). [BASE IL MAIN BASE 33 490] (14)
5/18/01 5:30:08 PM MSExchangeIS Public Information General  1216 N/A SI01
Information store limited to 16 GB.
5/18/01 5:30:08 PM MSExchangeIS Private Information General  1216 N/A SI01
Information store limited to 16 GB.
5/18/01 5:30:08 PM MSExchangeSA Information General  2042 N/A SI01 Unable to
get the AppleTalk network address of the Microsoft Exchange Server computer.
5/18/01 5:30:05 PM Backup Exec Catalog Server Information None 34305 N/A
SI01 Catalog server index C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx has been syncronized with catalog files in
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\.
5/18/01 5:30:02 PM ESE97 Information General ...

read more »

Incoming Internet Died?

Post by Paul Enge » Tue, 22 May 2001 06:01:58

I may be wrong on this. I think I need to call my networking company in the
morning. I did a search on MSExchangeIMC in my event log and it looks like
it doesn't even show up until friday at 5:30. It may be that that is when I
tried to invoke it. I'll get help from the guys who set this up. Thanks.

message news:uSZGX7V4AHA.1368@tkmsftngp05...

> [...]

> > client),
> > > it wouldn't work - service stops, internet mail stops. However, it's
> > likely
> > > that this POP software is doing something here.
> > > 2. Outlook: if you were to dial up to your ISP while offline in
Outlook,
> > > send and receive mail you'd have to have the Internet Mail Service
> loaded
> > in
> > > Outlook. Check in Tools | Services and see what you have there. You
> > > shouldn't have anything except Exchange Server service and Outlook
> Address
> > > book, if it's been done properly.

> > > It may be time to have someone re-configure your server and get rid of
> > this
> > > POP software. What kind of Internet connection do you have at work?

read more »

1. EX server dies when Internet dies

Hello,

We have an Exchange server on our network which transfers mail internally,
across a T1 to a branch office, and deliver mail from the internet.  Last
week we lost our Internet connection because Ameritech decided to rearrange
some wiring at the poll.  Once the connection was lost our Exchange server
obviously stopped delivering mail from the Internet but it also lagged out
when transferring mail internally.  We adjusted our routes to point across
the T1 to the internet and it started working again, but was very slow and
caused clients to drop.

My question:

First of all, why does Exchange die when it cant find an external mail
source.  I would think that Exchange would be smart enough to see the lost
connection but still be able to internally function normally.  I installed
wins so that it wouldn't need a DNS server for local stuff.  I cant think of
anything else to fix this.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Brian Byrnes
INSnet

2. Migrating Ex5.5 from NT Domain to 2000 Domain

3. Server dies when internet dies

4. SQLMail and character set

5. Die notes die

6. Lotus Notes user receive .unk attachments

7. Internet Mail Services died

8. SMTP server piece missing in IIS

9. Internet Mail Service died

10. Outlook clients crash when internet access dies

11. Internet Mail Service - Dies ?

12. Exchange 5.0 Internet Connector Dies

13. Server dies after Internet connection lost