Exchange/network management products

Post by Derek Marshal » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

We are currently deploying 30+ exchange servers to 50+ sites for nearly 5000
users and are evaluating various network management products.  We currently
are using HP Openview for WAN management, but with our distributed
environment we need something to monitor Exchange (5.5) and NT (also h/w).

We are looking at:
Tivoli
NetIQ
TNG Unicicenter

Any "real world" comments on the above products???

Exchange/network management products

Post by Vlad Mot » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm implementing NetIQ for several large clients, and absolutely love it.
Easy to implement, easy to use, and support teams can be notified of
events/emergencies via SMTP, MAPI, alphapage, broadcast to workstation, etc.

NetIQ has hooks into exchange that can be really useful.  In addition to the
obvious stuff (free disk space, size of logs, size of IS databases, status
of services, length of mail queues) you can get:
    Top senders/receivers of MAPI mail
    top senders/receivers of mail through IMS
    total volume of messagers through MTA

They've also got some great NT stuff, including the ability to monitor the
health of trust relationships between domains.

-Vlad Mott
 Cooper Consultants

>We are currently deploying 30+ exchange servers to 50+ sites for nearly
5000
>users and are evaluating various network management products.  We currently
>are using HP Openview for WAN management, but with our distributed
>environment we need something to monitor Exchange (5.5) and NT (also h/w).

>We are looking at:
>Tivoli
>NetIQ
>TNG Unicicenter

>Any "real world" comments on the above products???

Exchange/network management products

Post by Stuart Fo » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Tivoli is EXPENSIVE.  Have you considered HP's ManageX

Stu

Quote:>We are currently deploying 30+ exchange servers to 50+ sites for nearly
5000
>users and are evaluating various network management products.  We currently
>are using HP Openview for WAN management, but with our distributed
>environment we need something to monitor Exchange (5.5) and NT (also h/w).

>We are looking at:
>Tivoli
>NetIQ
>TNG Unicicenter

>Any "real world" comments on the above products???

Exchange/network management products

Post by Elton Tucke » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Got to agree with this NetIQ is fantastic.  Been playing with it for over a
year on and off now.  Just trying to convince my new employers that they
have to use this tool.

Elton Tucker MCSE ASE
Futurelink/Sysgold Ltd.
www.futurelink.net

>I'm implementing NetIQ for several large clients, and absolutely love it.
>Easy to implement, easy to use, and support teams can be notified of
>events/emergencies via SMTP, MAPI, alphapage, broadcast to workstation,
etc.

>NetIQ has hooks into exchange that can be really useful.  In addition to
the
>obvious stuff (free disk space, size of logs, size of IS databases, status
>of services, length of mail queues) you can get:
>    Top senders/receivers of MAPI mail
>    top senders/receivers of mail through IMS
>    total volume of messagers through MTA

>They've also got some great NT stuff, including the ability to monitor the
>health of trust relationships between domains.

>-Vlad Mott
> Cooper Consultants

>>We are currently deploying 30+ exchange servers to 50+ sites for nearly
>5000
>>users and are evaluating various network management products.  We
currently
>>are using HP Openview for WAN management, but with our distributed
>>environment we need something to monitor Exchange (5.5) and NT (also h/w).

>>We are looking at:
>>Tivoli
>>NetIQ
>>TNG Unicicenter

>>Any "real world" comments on the above products???

Exchange/network management products

Post by Bob Smolenya » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Derek,

One thought comes to mind,  How will you manage the backup/restore function?
Check out commvault's exchange solution at www.commvault.com.  They support
central admin, inplace on line restore of folders, sub-folders and full
outlook support including calendars, tasks, etc.

No fuss, no muss.

Regards

Bob Smolenyak

MCSE,MCT,MCNE

>We are currently deploying 30+ exchange servers to 50+ sites for nearly
5000
>users and are evaluating various network management products.  We currently
>are using HP Openview for WAN management, but with our distributed
>environment we need something to monitor Exchange (5.5) and NT (also h/w).

>We are looking at:
>Tivoli
>NetIQ
>TNG Unicicenter

>Any "real world" comments on the above products???

1. New Product Automates Distribution List Management

Discus Data Solutions has released ActiveDL 1.0, which automates the
creation and maintenance of Exchange distribution lists, with a simple
graphic interface. ActiveDL's built-in scheduler ensures DL's stay up to
date automatically.  Robust reporting allows you to monitor DL usage.

For more information visit www.discusdata.com/activedl.html, email

877-4DISCUS (877-434-7287).

2. VB EventScripting / MSExcahnge 5.5 / How can I attach a MessageObject to a new Mail

3. Sorting facts/myths about rule.dll

4. Shared Folders

5. Exchange accounts moving to from one server to another

6. System Network Management

7. Using computer management to manage network pc

8. Network Management & Administraion (NMA)

9. Network Management & Administration (NMA)