Restricting certain users from sending mail to the Internet

Restricting certain users from sending mail to the Internet

Post by Garrett Thompso » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:51:25

I am looking for a way to stop some users from sending mail to the Internet while
allowing others, with a single Exchange 2000 server (I know I could do it if I
were using a relay server).  In Exchange 5.5 it was easy, but that doesn't seem
to be the case with 2000.  I can stop users from relaying through the server, but
when they connect via MAPI, I cannot find a way to deny them the ability to send
mail to the Internet.  I tried several things, but to no avail.  It seems like
you should be able to create an SMTP connector and restrict some users from using
it.  You would think that with an SMTP connector being created that all Internet
bound mail would use the connector and the restricted users would get blocked.
However, when I tested this theory, the users mail was sent through to the
Internet anyway.  Either the filtering process on the SMTP connector is not
working properly, or the SMTP virtual server is delivering them.  I have taken
into consideration Q277872 and made the registry hack, but it sill doesn't work.
I have searched Microsoft's and a couple of other sites and cannot find an
answer.  Also, I have posted my question to a fairly heavily watched Exchange-
Admin forum and have received nothing valuable back...Can you please help me?

Thanks
Garrett

Restricting certain users from sending mail to the Internet

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 03:34:06

In 2000, the delivery restrictions are on the smtp connector properties.
Sounds like you are looking at the virtual server properties.

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator

[...]

Post by Garrett Thompso » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:36:13

What I am saying is that even if you create an SMTP connector and deny some users
the ability to send mail to the Internet through the connector, their mail still
gets delivered.  I don't know if the filtering is not working correctly, or if
instead the mail is being denied by the SMTP connector and then being delivered
by the SMTP virtual server.  Either way, the mail is not being blocked even
though you would expect it to be.

Garrett

.

Restricting certain users from sending mail to the Internet

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 05:05:18

I am stumped.  If your users are really using mapi client software, the
messages should be restricted from passing through the connector like you
said.  Any chance that some of them are using Outlook in Internet Mode?  Do
the ones you restricted receive a message notifying them of a delivery
failure?

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator