Sending/receiving messages internal and external

Sending/receiving messages internal and external

Post by Luc Fontey » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I am an NT Administrator for a small LAN (120 workstations). Recently we
change from Lotus Notes to Exchange Server 5.5. Our management wants
everyone to be able to send messages to each other within our LAN. However
some people also must be able to send messages throughout the enterprise
 about 100 NT Domains connected via WAN-no trust relationships) and to the
internet. I'm almost certain this can be accomplished with Exchange but I
don't know how.

Until now, if I give someone an account on the Exchange server they can
send/receive to everyone. I also know that you can restrict account. You can
say that a certain account can't receive mail from certain adressess but I
feel there must be a better solution to this.

Your thoughts are welcome,

Luc Fonteyn

Sending/receiving messages internal and external

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The first question that needs to be answered is what type of messaging connectivity exists between those locations? Are they SMTP aware? Can they receive mail from the Internet?

If so then add the IMS to your current configuration and route mail via the IMS and the Internet.

--
___________________________
Wesley H. Peace III

Microsoft Exchange/BackOffice MVP

Exchange FAQ at  http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Please do NOT reply to me directly, there is no guarantee I will
be able to reply.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>I am an NT Administrator for a small LAN (120 workstations). Recently we
>change from Lotus Notes to Exchange Server 5.5. Our management wants
>everyone to be able to send messages to each other within our LAN.

How the users are connected doesn't define whether or not they'll be
able to send or receive messages. You'll have redefine what it is you
want to do without using connectivity as a criterion.

Quote:>However
>some people also must be able to send messages throughout the enterprise

I assume that you're NOT using this to refer to the Exchange
organization?

Quote:> about 100 NT Domains connected via WAN-no trust relationships)

Which means that the "other" users do not have mailboxes in your
Exchange organization if you have only a single Exchange site. Each
Exchange mailbox must have a "Primary Windows NT Account" assigned to
it. In order to assign that account there must be a NT Domain trust.

Quote:>and to the
>internet. I'm almost certain this can be accomplished with Exchange but I
>don't know how.

Installing the IMS (Internet Mail Connector) will allow you to send
and receive SMTP messages. Use the admin program's "File | New other>
| Internet Mail Service..." menu to start the installation wizard.

Quote:>Until now, if I give someone an account on the Exchange server they can
>send/receive to everyone.

That's correct.

Quote:>I also know that you can restrict account. You can
>say that a certain account can't receive mail from certain adressess but I
>feel there must be a better solution to this.

You can use the "Delivery Restrictions" tab on the mailbox to assign
those restrictions, but they apply ONLY to Exchange addresses, not to
SMTP addresses.

Quote:>Your thoughts are welcome,

I'm sorry, but I'm really not at all clear about what you're trying to
accomplish.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Cannot Send / Receive External & Receive Internal Email

Hello:

I have a new mail server in a new domain I am testing.  I am to the point
where I can send email internally (to my old mail server in my current
domain) but I cannot receive email internally.  Also, when I try to send
email to an external domains I get the following message;

"There was a SMTP communications problem with the recipient's mail server.
<mail_server.comapnyname.com #5.5.0smtp;550 Relaying is prohibited>

The new mail server is an W2K Server / E2K configuration and the old mail
server is a NT4.0 Server / Ex5.5 configuration.  I have tried a lot of
different ways to resolve this issue, but nothing has worked.  Any help will
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

2. prueba de respuesta de la prueba de contacto del servidor de prueba que estamos probando

3. Can not receive external mail, Can send and receive internal mail

4. POP3 & IMAP Problems

5. One user cannot send/receive internal mail - External mail is OK

6. Help on email attachments

7. How do I disable some users from sending and receiving external mail (need internal only)

8. Mailbox permissions

9. Exchange Not Receiving Internal/External E-mails

10. Internal mail working but cannot receive external

11. Cannot receive external mail due to internal transport problem

12. Receiving external email on internal exchange server

13. Internal Exchange2k receiving external email