notification of new mail in another mailbox

notification of new mail in another mailbox

Post by Jon Sinclai » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:47:20

Have Exchange Server 5.5, and I was wondering if it is
possible to notify other users if a message comes into a
specific mailbox.

e.g.   have mailbox for specific job (A)
    have 4 users who relate to this job but have own
seperate mailboxes (B, C, D, E)

if A gets a message (tend to include very large
attachments), send a notification message - along lines
of "A has new message, please check mailbox" - to B, C, D,
and E so that they can then log in as A and view message.

thanks in advance,

notification of new mail in another mailbox

Post by Susan VanAlle » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:17:12

You can set up a rule in Outlook for that mailbox, but Outlook would have to
be open for it to work...
--
Susan VanAllen
Systems Administrator

> Have Exchange Server 5.5, and I was wondering if it is
> possible to notify other users if a message comes into a
> specific mailbox.

> e.g.   have mailbox for specific job (A)
>     have 4 users who relate to this job but have own
> seperate mailboxes (B, C, D, E)

> if A gets a message (tend to include very large
> attachments), send a notification message - along lines
> of "A has new message, please check mailbox" - to B, C, D,
> and E so that they can then log in as A and view message.

> thanks in advance,

notification of new mail in another mailbox

Post by Jon Sinclai » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:38:02

Have tried this, but there only seems to be an option to
notify your own mailbox, not other mailboxes, so in the
example below, A could only notify A that a new message
had arrived (I assumed this was for if you had rules
filtering messages into seperate folders in your mailbox).
This was using the rules wizard - I don't know anything
about setting custom rules.

regards,
Jon Sinclair

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You can set up a rule in Outlook for that mailbox, but

Outlook would have to
>be open for it to work...
>--
>Susan VanAllen
>Systems Administrator
>The Lightship Group

>> Have Exchange Server 5.5, and I was wondering if it is
>> possible to notify other users if a message comes into a
>> specific mailbox.

>> e.g.   have mailbox for specific job (A)
>>     have 4 users who relate to this job but have own
>> seperate mailboxes (B, C, D, E)

>> if A gets a message (tend to include very large
>> attachments), send a notification message - along lines
>> of "A has new message, please check mailbox" - to B, C,
D,
>> and E so that they can then log in as A and view
message.

>> thanks in advance,

>.

notification of new mail in another mailbox

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:56:35

A rules wizard rule could do this and if you write it properly it will run
without Outlook running.

It seems that you might want to reevaluate how you're doing your
application, though, because a common public folder might be a superior
mechanism.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Have Exchange Server 5.5, and I was wondering if it is
> possible to notify other users if a message comes into a
> specific mailbox.

> e.g.   have mailbox for specific job (A)
>     have 4 users who relate to this job but have own
> seperate mailboxes (B, C, D, E)

> if A gets a message (tend to include very large
> attachments), send a notification message - along lines
> of "A has new message, please check mailbox" - to B, C, D,
> and E so that they can then log in as A and view message.

> thanks in advance,

notification of new mail in another mailbox

Post by Jon Sinclai » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:35:59

Have read the replies but the problem actually goes
slightly deeper than this :
[ORIGINAL PROBLEM]
Have Exchange Server 5.5, and I was wondering if it is
possible to notify
other users if a message comes into a specific mailbox.
e.g. have mailbox
for specific job (A) have 4 users who relate to this job
but have own
seperate mailboxes (B, C, D, E) if A gets a message (tend
to include very
large attachments), send a notification message - along
lines of "A has new
message, please check mailbox" - to B, C, D, and E so that
they can then log
in as A and view message.

[EXTRA]
we need to be able to track what mail is going out, being
deleted, and
coming in from mailbox A, to cover our own backs (just in
case).  From what
I have seen of public folders, there does not seem to be
any tracking of
deleted items stored anywhere in the folder, they only
appear in the deleted
items of B,C,D or E depending on who deleted it, and if B
deletes it before
C sees the message, C will never know that the message
existed.

Have tried using the rules wizard, and there only seems to
be a notify A
(assuming A is the mailbox that you are in) option, no
notify B,C,D or E
option.

We are only a small company, and only have exchange server
set up to basic
settings as there is no real IT department - we get a
problem so we switch
the server off and back on and pray!!  So as you can
probably guess, we do
not know a lot about it. Any help would be much
appreciated.

regards,
Jon Sinclair

1. New Mail Notification but no new mail!

We are running Exch.Server 5.5 AND Outlook2000 on WT Workstation.

From time to time all users are informed about new mail. but there is
nothing in their inbox.
So where does this message come from / how can it be stopped?

2. Render subsystem

3. New Mail Notification with No New Mail

4. Removing the Last Exchange 5.5 server.

5. New Mail Notification but no new mail!

6. 1 * uorTfbaEx-Compression

7. URGENT! Help recover from disaster

8. New mail notifications for non-primary mailbox

9. New mail notification on multiple mailboxes

10. Slow Mail Delivery/New Mail Notification