Private and public store 2GB size limit???

Private and public store 2GB size limit???

Post by elff » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:28:14

 I had heard that -- because of the inherent limitations of the jet
engine, aka Access, database used for both the private and public
stores -- once the private store reaches 2GB in size slowdowns and
mailbox corruptions will become evident as the db engine can't handle a
database of that size. Has anyone else seen this?
If this is true, considering all private folders of all users are
stored within that one database, I would imagine that it could reach
2GB fairly quickly...how do you get around it? Lots of small servers
rather than one big server? Move as much content as you can to personal
folders on the hard drive?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
Diane
==============================
Just say no to cognitive *.

Before you buy.

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 23:02:08

>  I had heard that -- because of the inherent limitations of the jet
> engine, aka Access, database used for both the private and public
> stores -- once the private store reaches 2GB in size slowdowns and
> mailbox corruptions will become evident as the db engine can't handle a
> database of that size.

I do not know about Access, but database engine of Exchange (ESE -
Extensible Storage Engine) allows you to have almost unlimited databases.
First limit you will encounter will be caapacity of your storage hardware.

Quote:> Has anyone else seen this?

Maybe you (or your source) confuse .edb files with .pst files?

Quote:

> If this is true, considering all private folders of all users are
> stored within that one database, I would imagine that it could reach
> 2GB fairly quickly...how do you get around it? Lots of small servers
> rather than one big server?

Yes, but at much higher database size and primarily due to backup, restore
and maintenance times.
This is changed with E2K.

Quote:> Move as much content as you can to personal
> folders on the hard drive?

This is wrong approach.

Quote:

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
(in group).

Kirill

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 23:50:17

> I had heard that -- because of the inherent limitations of the jet
>engine, aka Access,

JET is a technique for querying databases. There were TWO such
database engines: JET Red, and JET Blue. one was used in Access, and
one was used in Exchange. They are NOT interchangeable.

Quote:>database used for both the private and public
>stores

Exchange 5.5, and Exchange 2000, use ESE, not JET, for database
access.

Quote:>-- once the private store reaches 2GB in size slowdowns and
>mailbox corruptions will become evident as the db engine can't handle a
>database of that size.

That may be true for "MS Office", but not for MS BackOffice products.

Quote:>Has anyone else seen this?

I haven't seen, or heard, of anyone approaching the 16TB limit on
database size in Exchange server.

Quote:>If this is true, considering all private folders of all users are
>stored within that one database, I would imagine that it could reach
>2GB fairly quickly...how do you get around it?

You don't have to "get around" anything. I think there's a a 2GB limit
on the size of a single MESSAGE in the database, but I haven't seen
anyone try that yet, either!

Quote:>Lots of small servers
>rather than one big server? Move as much content as you can to personal
>folders on the hard drive?

>Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Stop listening to uninformed opinions.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Post by elff » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:40:33

> >Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

> Stop listening to uninformed opinions.

Yikes, we were told about the 2GB limit in class by the chap who came
in to give us our advanced exchange admin and set up training....

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Diane

==============================
Just say no to cognitive *.

Before you buy.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:53:08

>> >Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

>> Stop listening to uninformed opinions.

>Yikes, we were told about the 2GB limit in class by the chap who came
>in to give us our advanced exchange admin and set up training....

I think it was Chris Scharff [1] that said that some of the most
amazing "phantom features" of Exchange have come from instructors. I'd
have to agree with him.

[1] If it wasn't Chris I'm sure he'll take credit for it anyway. :)

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Private Info Store size exceeded limit!!!!!!

We found out the hard way that the standard Exchange 5.5 has a Information
store limit of 16GB, but the Enterprise Edition doesn't.  Why my predecesor
didn't get the Enterprise Edition, I don't know!  Here's my question.  Our
Private Information store exceeded the 16GB limit and shut down.  I was able
to do an offline defrag and get it running again, but the size still shows
up as over 16GB.  I don't know how much longer it will stay up before
encountering the same problem.  Is there any way I can reduce the size of
that information store?  We had a user who has left the firm months ago and
we finally deleted her mailbox!  Her mailbox alone was 1.3 GB!  After
deleting her mailbox, we only regained 200MB of space!!!!  What gives?  Any
idea as to why I didn't get back the space?  According to Event 1221 from
the Online defrag, I will only reclaim 1MB if I do another offline defrag.
I've deleted several other mailboxes of people who have left the firm, but
it doesn't even put a dent in the private information store's size.  Please
help before my server goes down again!!

Thanks,
Sylvan Jonas

2. MSExchangeIS returns error 4294965485

3. Are there any limit on Private store size on SBS 4.5, Exchange 5.5

4. POP3

5. Size Limit on the Private Information Store

6. Event Sink Registration Problems?

7. Problem with Private Information store size limit

8. how to set up Alias

9. Exch 5.5 standard edition size limits for private/public databases

10. difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

11. Howto limit the size of a public information store

12. Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

13. Practical Limit on the Private Information Store