Problem with backup

Post by Lepi » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:29:55

Hello,

I have a big problem. On Exchange 2000 SP3 Server somehow I manage to lost
all the messages. That was two weeks ago. In the meantime, I tried to find
the source of the problem and undo it (Sophos MailMonitor for Exchange2000
is the guilty part. It somehow managed to see some errors in all the
messages and deleted them all).
Anyhow, I have backup from a month before that (I know, I should have...),
but now I allready have two week of mails.
So, my question is, can I merge my old backup with the new one (the one I
made today)? I know, I will have a hole between those two, but thats better
then a big hole :))

One more thing, that is more important then messages is contacts, 'couse I
lost them too, so with that old backup I would get that back.

Thank you

Problem with backup

Post by Greg Kelle » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:56:51

What is your backup software?  If you used Backup Exec by Veritas, and did a
brick level backup you can restore individual e-mails, contacts, etc.  I've
done that.
If you are using Backup that comes with the 2000 machine that would be
trickier.  Here is what I would do....

1. Disconnect the server from the internet (to prevent more e-mails from
coming in), and get all clients off of it
2. Make a complete backup of your e-mail, and then copy the e-mail database
files to another location
3. Restore your e-mail stores off of tape and use those files as your e-mail
stores.  In affect, this will return your e-mail to the state it was a month
ago when you did that backup
4. Export necessary data to PST files using Exmerge
5. Shut down e-mail services again and bring back on-line with your current
e-mails stores
6. Import PST files and then sort out the duplicates.

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a big problem. On Exchange 2000 SP3 Server somehow I manage to lost
> all the messages. That was two weeks ago. In the meantime, I tried to find
> the source of the problem and undo it (Sophos MailMonitor for Exchange2000
> is the guilty part. It somehow managed to see some errors in all the
> messages and deleted them all).
> Anyhow, I have backup from a month before that (I know, I should have...),
> but now I allready have two week of mails.
> So, my question is, can I merge my old backup with the new one (the one I
> made today)? I know, I will have a hole between those two, but thats
better
> then a big hole :))

> One more thing, that is more important then messages is contacts, 'couse I
> lost them too, so with that old backup I would get that back.

> Thank you

1. Exchange 5.5 Backup problem using Backup Exec

Hi,

We have Exchange 5.5 SP3 and are using Veritas BackupExec v.8 with the
Exchange Agent installed. All has been fine until the last week the backup
has been failing every day.

The failure log states that:
The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set aborted.
WARNING: "Directory" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify

and

The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set aborted.
WARNING: "Information Store" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify

The Exchange Server is working fine however and no one has complained of
anything. Also, the mailboxes and messages are backing up fine as well.

Has anyone else come across this problem and what was wrong?

Many thanks.

2. RPC connector product name &/or #?

3. Backup problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000

4. Resolving undefined names in a domain

5. Exchange 5.5 Backup problem using Backup Exec

6. folder permission exchange2000 with vb

7. Problem with backup

8. GAL Replication not working between servers in the same site.

9. problem with backup-ntbackup

10. problem restoring backup

11. problems restoring backup

12. Problem Online backup of exchange 5.5 with Arcserve2000

13. Problem with Backup