Circular Logging & Transaction Logs

Post by Mason Verge » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:07:11

I've inherited a network where circular logging is enabled (bad thing)
however they the IS, DS, and all transaction logs on the same drive (D:).

Any reason why I shouldn't disable circular logging in this configuration?

If I one of my techs forgot to perform backups for a couple of weeks
(yes....a bad thing) this may cause drive D: to become full. Would that
crash the server or merely halt the IS until either a backup was performed
or the logs deleted?

MV

Circular Logging & Transaction Logs

Post by Jennifer Bake » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 05:34:30

see answers below

Quote:> I've inherited a network where circular logging is enabled (bad thing)
> however they the IS, DS, and all transaction logs on the same drive (D:).
> Any reason why I shouldn't disable circular logging in this configuration.

not unless you are short of diskspace.  If you are not sure, examine /
monitor diskspace with the circular logging disabled.  Setup perfmon or
whatever to notify you when diskspace has reached 70%.  If another disk is
available move your database to another disk other than c or d.  As I'm sure
you know,  keep the logs on the same physical disk as the os.

Quote:> If I one of my techs forgot to perform backups for a couple of weeks
> (yes....a bad thing) this may cause drive D: to become full. Would that
> crash the server or merely halt the IS until either a backup was performed
> or the logs deleted?

the store would halt when the available diskspace went under ~50 megs.
Quote:

> MV

Circular Logging & Transaction Logs

Post by Alen » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 07:40:13

How do you forget to perform back ups for a few weeks? It should be done
every night. Look at Veritas Backup and a good robot where you won't need to
switch out tapes.

Quote:> I've inherited a network where circular logging is enabled (bad thing)
> however they the IS, DS, and all transaction logs on the same drive (D:).

> Any reason why I shouldn't disable circular logging in this configuration?

> If I one of my techs forgot to perform backups for a couple of weeks
> (yes....a bad thing) this may cause drive D: to become full. Would that
> crash the server or merely halt the IS until either a backup was performed
> or the logs deleted?

> MV

Circular Logging & Transaction Logs

Post by Alfred Lo » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:21:02

If you are using NTBackup, you can use the AT command to schedule your
backup.  This ensure backup up is run, even if everyone is off on holidays.

If you are using Seagate Backup Exec, there is a built in scheduler.

--
AL, MCSE
"Everything I love is killing me, cigarettes, Jack Daniels and caffeine",

Quote:> I've inherited a network where circular logging is enabled (bad thing)
> however they the IS, DS, and all transaction logs on the same drive (D:).

> Any reason why I shouldn't disable circular logging in this configuration?

> If I one of my techs forgot to perform backups for a couple of weeks
> (yes....a bad thing) this may cause drive D: to become full. Would that
> crash the server or merely halt the IS until either a backup was performed
> or the logs deleted?

> MV

Circular Logging & Transaction Logs

Post by Sven » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:03:17

basically, you won't be able to do incremental or differential backup with
circular logging.
Sven

Quote:> I've inherited a network where circular logging is enabled (bad thing)
> however they the IS, DS, and all transaction logs on the same drive (D:).

> Any reason why I shouldn't disable circular logging in this configuration?

> If I one of my techs forgot to perform backups for a couple of weeks
> (yes....a bad thing) this may cause drive D: to become full. Would that
> crash the server or merely halt the IS until either a backup was performed
> or the logs deleted?

> MV

1. Circular Logging or MDBDATA Logs

I am having an issue and I think it has something to do with
Circular Logging? I have almost 30 GB of space used by 6000 5,120 mb files
with various dates since first install.
( There are only three people on our network ) I have since stopped the
circular logging to see if this stops the creation of these files and then
will only create one 5,120MB file and when it fills that log it merely
flushes out the log and reuses it. I just don't know what to do with the
6000 old files? I don't know if I should delete them or not?

Roland

2. Distribution Lists

3. Circular Logging and log files

4. Redundant Email - both internal AND external

5. Circular Logging off - Ntbackup/Incremental - backs up entire priv.edb and .logs

6. SMTP?

7. Circular logging off - Arcserve deletes log files?

8. pop3setup please help

9. Circular logging not circular

10. v5.0 to v5.5 & Circular Logging

11. Tracking log vs Transaction log

12. Exchange 2000 & Transaction Logs relocation

13. RAID & Transaction logs (pls help)