Public Contacts and Global Address book

Post by Loui » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi group
Running Exchange v5.0 -
if I wanted to run a backup on just the Public contacts and Global address
book, is there a way to isolate those resources independently?

thanks
LT

Public Contacts and Global Address book

Post by Dustin Smith [MVP » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Public contacts folders are part of the Public Information Store database,
and exist in the physical file pub.edb. When you tell your backup
application to backup the Information Store, you are backing up all private
user mailboxes and everything in the Public Folders. The Global Address list
is built from the Directory Service (dir.edb), so when you run a backup of
the Directory, you are in effect backing this up.

--
Dustin Smith
Microsoft BackOffice MVP - Exchange

>Hi group
>Running Exchange v5.0 -
>if I wanted to run a backup on just the Public contacts and Global address
>book, is there a way to isolate those resources independently?

>thanks
>LT

Public Contacts and Global Address book

Post by Egbert Alber » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You can write a script with Directory export commands and schedule it!
Afterwards backup the Files with the daily Backup Routines you have!

Regards Egbert

--
Egbert Albert
Schaichstrasse 17

Quote:>Hi group
>Running Exchange v5.0 -
>if I wanted to run a backup on just the Public contacts and Global address
>book, is there a way to isolate those resources independently?

>thanks
>LT

Public Contacts and Global Address book

Post by Alvi » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Egbert
thanks for the response.  Can the Public Contacts (or any object in the
Public Info Store) be exported as a PST file (to be read by an Outlook
client) or does it have to be a TXT file and then imported to a client (or
new server).

I'm trying to develop a recovery stradegy where, in this situation, the org
is only interested in its contacts (which are being stored in the Public
Information Store).  So, if I can extract that data and import it into
another server or outlook client, that would be great.

could you elaborate a little on this idea?

thanks again
/LT

Quote:

> You can write a script with Directory export commands and schedule it!
> Afterwards backup the Files with the daily Backup Routines you have!

> Regards Egbert

> --
> Egbert Albert
> Schaichstrasse 17
> 72631 Aichtal
> Tel: 07127 952726
> Louis schrieb in Nachricht ...

Public Contacts and Global Address book

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Egbert
> thanks for the response.  Can the Public Contacts (or any object in the
> Public Info Store) be exported as a PST file (to be read by an Outlook
> client) or does it have to be a TXT file and then imported to a client
(or
> new server).

        It can be exported to a .PST, just like any other folder.  Of course, the
user has to have Read permission...