Newsfeed Question

Post by Matthew Russel » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

We have a dial-up connection with our Exchange 5.0 Server.  We also
would like to have several newsfeeds from the msnews.microsoft.com.

What would be the best setup scenario.  I have it currently set up as a
pull.  It will pull info on specified intervals.  Does anyone think this
is the best way?  I don't really understand the difference between this
and the other method.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Newsfeed Question

Post by Wesley Peace [MVP » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure what you mean by several feeds. There is only a single server
out there. Are you referring to subscribing to multiple groups?

In any case, the difference is quite simple.

PUSH is controlled by the ISP and typically involves getting all available
newsgroups.
PULL is used when a limited number of groups are wanted and the end-user org
           wants to maintain control.

Based on what you stated and the fact that you will only be able to get a
PULL feed directly with MSNEWS, you've made the correct choice.

Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP
He who has a why can endure any how. -Friedrich Nietzsche

>We have a dial-up connection with our Exchange 5.0 Server.  We also
>would like to have several newsfeeds from the msnews.microsoft.com.

>What would be the best setup scenario.  I have it currently set up as a
>pull.  It will pull info on specified intervals.  Does anyone think this
>is the best way?  I don't really understand the difference between this
>and the other method.

>Any help would be appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Matt

1. NEWSFEED QUESTION

When I add a news feed to my Exchange 5.5 Server,  I get the same errors no
matter what I use for a source.  The errors are as follows.

"An error occurred during outbound trying to logon to remote host
msnews.microsoft.com.   Error = 0x80004005. "

"Failed to establish outbound connection to msnews.microsoft.com.  News will
be resent later. "

"An error response was received to a newnews command from server Newsfeed
msnews.microsoft.com (ENTERPRISE). The response code was 502.  The pull feed
connection has been terminated. "

by host pssnews.msn.com.  Server response: 502 Access Denied. "

"An unexpected response (502) was received from news server pssnews.msn.com.
"

This just started happening recently.  And I can still access the sites from
Outlook Express.  The only changes Ive made since this started happening
are,  Exchange SP3 and NT SP6a.  But before I go rebuilding my Exchange
Server I wanted to know if anyone else has seen this problem before.

Thanks,

Jason

2. Calendar Q !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Newsfeed Question

4. Mailboxes Wont clean

5. NewsFeed questions

6. Uninstalling last EX2000 Server in site?

7. Newsfeed question

8. command line etrn

9. Another Newsfeed Question

10. Newsfeed questions.