W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

Post by user » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 02:37:13

I want to create a batch or scheduler that will shut down my exchange store,
MTA, IMC and directory services for an offline backup using W2K backup, then
restart the services after the backup is complete. Are there any utilities
already out there that would do this?  Or info on doing this?

Thanks,

LB

W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

Post by Susa » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 02:37:07

why do you want to perform offline backups when MS recommends online backups
for Exchange?

Quote:> I want to create a batch or scheduler that will shut down my exchange
store,
> MTA, IMC and directory services for an offline backup using W2K backup,
then
> restart the services after the backup is complete. Are there any utilities
> already out there that would do this?  Or info on doing this?

> Thanks,

> LB

W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

Post by user » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 02:48:35

Horror stories on restoring form an online backup. I have never done it
(restore from online backup) have you had good luck with it?

Thanks,
LB

> why do you want to perform offline backups when MS recommends online
backups
> for Exchange?

> > I want to create a batch or scheduler that will shut down my exchange
> store,
> > MTA, IMC and directory services for an offline backup using W2K backup,
> then
> > restart the services after the backup is complete. Are there any
utilities
> > already out there that would do this?  Or info on doing this?

> > Thanks,

> > LB

W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

Post by Susa » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 02:52:13

many many times...if you do offline backups, you will never be able to
recover your data up to the moment of failure...bad news...

> Horror stories on restoring form an online backup. I have never done it
> (restore from online backup) have you had good luck with it?

> Thanks,
> LB

> > why do you want to perform offline backups when MS recommends online
> backups
> > for Exchange?

> > > I want to create a batch or scheduler that will shut down my exchange
> > store,
> > > MTA, IMC and directory services for an offline backup using W2K
backup,
> > then
> > > restart the services after the backup is complete. Are there any
> utilities
> > > already out there that would do this?  Or info on doing this?

> > > Thanks,

> > > LB

W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

Post by user » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 03:05:56

many, many times? that give me confidence. Any suggestions on setup?

Thanks again,
LB

> many many times...if you do offline backups, you will never be able to
> recover your data up to the moment of failure...bad news...

> > Horror stories on restoring form an online backup. I have never done it
> > (restore from online backup) have you had good luck with it?

> > Thanks,
> > LB

> > > why do you want to perform offline backups when MS recommends online
> > backups
> > > for Exchange?

> > > store,
> backup,
> > > then
> > utilities

W2K Server Exchange 5.5 offline backup routine

Post by Susa » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 03:06:07

if you follow this, precisely, you should have no problem whatsoever...what
were your issues with it?

http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/administration/55/BackupRe...
sp

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:32:08

> many many times...if you do offline backups, you will never be able to
> recover your data up to the moment of failure...

Actually that is possible, but much more involved. Additionally, in this case
somebody has to manage transaction logs.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

1. exch 5.5 - how to import/copy mail boxes from backup to new w2k Server exch 5.5

I just took the complete backup of my present server nt 4.0 with exch 5.5.
I did stop exchange services before starting backup.

I have one backup of exchange on my pc and another one on tape.

After taking backup, I have formatted the server and install w2k server.

I installed another w2k server on another server and install exchange 5.5 on
it.  So now I have 2 servers w2k, one with exchange 5.5 and another domain
server.

I need to bring the mail boxes back to exchange 5.5 from the backup.

I will really appreciate if someone please help me and tell me what files I
should be copying.

The name of the server which has exchange now, is different than the name
exchange had before formatting.

Please help.

Thanks.

2. reccomend a good spam filtering product

3. IMS tweaking, squeaky wheel needs some oil

4. Internet mail in exchange 4.0 won't save my password

5. Backup problem: Exchange 5.5 under W2K Server

6. ccMail /Internet Mail Service Connectivity Problems

7. files to backup on exchange 5.5 offline backup

8. Offline Backup of Exchange Server 5.5

9. Offline restore works but online restore fails - W2K backup

10. Offline Address book settings - Exchange 5.5 or W2k