Multiple copies of same message delivered to recipient.

Multiple copies of same message delivered to recipient.

Post by David Webe » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:17:40

Running Exchange 2002 (SP3) on Win 2K (SP3), behind a
3Com OfficeConnect Firewall

Whenever there is an interuption or significant slow-down
of Internet access, this Exchange server will deliver
many copies (as many as 50 or so) of the same message to
the same recipient.  The recipient will be included in a
list of as many as 1000 other addresses sent as a mass-
mailing to existing customers.

Messages are created in Outlook 2000, and a Group is used
from the Contact list to generate the addresses.

Thanks for any help!

David Weber

1. Recipients receive multiple copies of same message

I'm getting an intermittent problem of recipients getting multiple copies of
the same message. The recipients are on different domains, and these
messages are being sent directly to the recipient. (not a DL issue).  My
configuration consists of Exchange Svr 5.0 Sp.2 connecting through a Unix
firewall to the internet  Our unix guy has told me that the Unix box
forwards to an relay host situated on our ISP when it can't connect to the
recipient's mail host. I'm new to Exchange but here's my plan to determine
whether the culprit is <Exchange> or <Unix firewall>, or the <relay host>.
1. Enable message tracking on MTA, IS, and IMC.
2. Set diagnostic logging to maximum for SMTP.

These two ought to show both the internal and external path of any given
message. A few questions. Should I enable any other diagnostic logging? If I
only find one instance of a message in SMTP logging, is it reasonable to
assume that the multiple copies are coming from another source (say the
relay host)? Are there any shareware or other parsing utilities out there to
quickly go through these log files? Any and all suggestions would be
appreciated.

-Jim Picerno

2. OWA problem

3. Multiple copies of messages to Internet recipients from DL

4. Automatically deleting messages on the server

5. external recipient gets multiple copies of email sent to DL

6. receiving email from an ISP

7. Email recipients get multiple copies

8. Getting down to the gnat's ass in Exchange client 5.0

9. Broadcast email: Recipient recieve multiple copies

10. Multiple Messages Generated to multiple recipients

11. some internet recipients recieving multiple copies of emails

12. Recipient receives multiple copies of email

13. single email to multiple recipients = multiple emails to same recipient