Newsfeeds won't work properly

Post by Mike » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I set everything up by the book but I can't pull messages from a client
after I setup a newsfeed on my Exchange Server.  The setup goes fine, the
client connects to my exchange server fine, but I get no messages.  I'm also
confused about what exactly is a Usenet Server.  For instance, a usenet site
is msnews.microsoft.com, right?  My instructions then say to enter the Ip
address or name of a usenet server.  Would that be
microsoft.public.exchange.admin, for example?

Anyway,  I setup my exchange server for inbound and outbound newsfeeds and
to accept incoming messages.  I put the usenet site name as
msnews.microsoft.com, and the host computer as msnews.microsoft.com.  Is
that correct?  I tried putting microsoft.public.exchange.admin as the host
computer but this errors out.  Please advise.

Also, it does successfully download the active file and creates a public
folder, but the folders for the newsgroups, even the ones I submitted to
from my client are empty.  And if I post a message to a newsgroup, such as
the one we are on now, I do get that message but of course its the only one
there, so I know I am setup correctly client site.

Thanks in advace for any help and if I left out anything important to help
someone figure this out please let me know.  Thank.

Mike

Newsfeeds won't work properly

Post by Steve Byrn » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:20:24

I remember reading somewhere that most ISP's ignore Pull requests from
Exchange Server these days.
Check with your ISP maybe.

Steve P Byrne

Quote:> I set everything up by the book but I can't pull messages from a client

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I set everything up by the book but I can't pull messages from a client
> after I setup a newsfeed on my Exchange Server.

Probably because your Exchange Server can not pull messages from it's source
server?

Quote:>  The setup goes fine, the
> client connects to my exchange server fine, but I get no messages.  I'm also
> confused about what exactly is a Usenet Server.  For instance, a usenet site
> is msnews.microsoft.com, right?  My instructions then say to enter the Ip
> address or name of a usenet server.  Would that be
> microsoft.public.exchange.admin, for example?

That would be
msnews.microsoft.com
too.

Quote:

> Anyway,  I setup my exchange server for inbound and outbound newsfeeds and
> to accept incoming messages.  I put the usenet site name as
> msnews.microsoft.com, and the host computer as msnews.microsoft.com.  Is
> that correct?

Yep.

Quote:>  I tried putting microsoft.public.exchange.admin as the host
> computer but this errors out.  Please advise.

> Also, it does successfully download the active file and creates a public
> folder, but the folders for the newsgroups, even the ones I submitted to
> from my client are empty.  And if I post a message to a newsgroup, such as
> the one we are on now, I do get that message but of course its the only one
> there, so I know I am setup correctly client site.

Exchange is using NEWNEWS command to pull articles from source newsserver. It is
resource-intensive and is disabled on most public newsservers.

Quote:

--
Got questions? Tell this Keen thing "Go to hell" and visit
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?FR=0&SA=GN&LNG=ENG

1. Newsfeeds won't work properly

[...]

2. DCOM ERRORS

3. Newsfeeds don't work properly

4. Endof Email Security notice

5. Client's out of office assistant doesn't work properly

6. Exchange Server 5.0 SP4?

7. OWA won't properly process quotes in e-mail addresses

8. Account creation question

9. Exchange won't initiate properly

10. OWA WON'T WORK AFTER UPGRADE TO WIN 2000 SERVER

11. Help! Exchange won't install properly

12. OWA won't properly process quotes in e-mail addresses

13. Global Events won't propagate properly