Problem Viewing Pub Folder

Post by Purifoy, Tod » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

At a couple of our locations, we have been having the following problem.
Most users can see the Public Folder just fine.  But occasionally, there is
one user who cannot.  When that user tries to click on the folder, they get
the "Unable to Display Folder..."message.

I added that user as an Author, no dice...added as owner...still no go.

I cannot figure out why he cannot see the folder.

In one case, I actually copied the folder, deleted the original, and then
renamed the copy to the original name, and that worked.  That is not a great
solution for us...and I am not sure what that tells me.

It sort of seems that at some point the replication broke, and just never
caught back up?  But that would mean that the same contents were not visible
at all locations right?

Is it possible that the folder is alive and kicking, yet the permissions are
not being replicated?  To be honest, it has confused the hell out of me, and
I do not know where to start with this issue at this point.

Thanks for your help.

Problem Viewing Pub Folder

Post by Greg Star » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have run into the same problem. If you are using Outlook as the client,
uninstalling and reinstalling it was the (rather inelegant) solution I
found.

-Greg Starr
-IS Manager
-Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra

Quote:> At a couple of our locations, we have been having the following problem.
> Most users can see the Public Folder just fine.  But occasionally, there
is
> one user who cannot.  When that user tries to click on the folder, they
get
> the "Unable to Display Folder..."message.

> I added that user as an Author, no dice...added as owner...still no go.

> I cannot figure out why he cannot see the folder.

> In one case, I actually copied the folder, deleted the original, and then
> renamed the copy to the original name, and that worked.  That is not a
great
> solution for us...and I am not sure what that tells me.

> It sort of seems that at some point the replication broke, and just never
> caught back up?  But that would mean that the same contents were not
visible
> at all locations right?

> Is it possible that the folder is alive and kicking, yet the permissions
are
> not being replicated?  To be honest, it has confused the hell out of me,
and
> I do not know where to start with this issue at this point.

> Thanks for your help.

Problem Viewing Pub Folder

Post by Ed Crowle » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

A less drastic approach you might try first is to remove and recreate the
profile.
--
Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP-Exchange
Senior Consultant

> I have run into the same problem. If you are using Outlook as the client,
> uninstalling and reinstalling it was the (rather inelegant) solution I
> found.

> -Greg Starr
> -IS Manager
> -Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra

> > At a couple of our locations, we have been having the following problem.
> > Most users can see the Public Folder just fine.  But occasionally, there
> is
> > one user who cannot.  When that user tries to click on the folder, they
> get
> > the "Unable to Display Folder..."message.

> > I added that user as an Author, no dice...added as owner...still no go.

> > I cannot figure out why he cannot see the folder.

> > In one case, I actually copied the folder, deleted the original, and
then
> > renamed the copy to the original name, and that worked.  That is not a
> great
> > solution for us...and I am not sure what that tells me.

> > It sort of seems that at some point the replication broke, and just
never
> > caught back up?  But that would mean that the same contents were not
> visible
> > at all locations right?

> > Is it possible that the folder is alive and kicking, yet the permissions
> are
> > not being replicated?  To be honest, it has confused the hell out of me,
> and
> > I do not know where to start with this issue at this point.

> > Thanks for your help.

1. viewing pub.edb/ restore to view

This may sound a little different...I inherited a network that used to use
Outlook, we now use Netscape/ACT. They have a TON of info that is very important
for them to view that is/was on a public folder. I admit that I do not know much
about Exchange or Outlook. I am wondering how I go about looking up this info. I
have gathered it is stored in pub.edb, I have located this file, but I haven't
gotten any further. Someone decided earlier to delete files randomly because they
didn't want to use Outlook anymore, they just didn't realize that we needed the
tasks saved in there, so I cannot run Outlook, and don't know if Exchange is
available anymore.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Lucas Gottler

2. Mailbox Rules on Exchange Server 5.5 ?

3. Pub Folder perms problem, one client PC only (Olk2002)

4. HELP: Internet Mail Connector hangs

5. Outlook/Exchange: view other Mailbox folders in activities view for public folder contacts

6. Return receipts

7. Pub Folder Doc Permission: Read Only Problem

8. Replicating Calendar info amongst two administrative groups

9. Public Folder / PUB.EDB problem

10. Problem with Publishing Pub Folder as Newsgroup

11. viewing pri or pub.edb

12. Pub Folder errors: IDs 3079, 1110 -- error -1018, Unable to display folder