Replacing existing exchange server with a new one...

Replacing existing exchange server with a new one...

Post by Bart A. DePetrill » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 02:02:20

Sorry for the basic questions, but I just fell into administering an
existing e2k installation :(

The existing server on which my E2K runs is screwy.  I'd like to setup a
second E2K server to replace the existing one.   I imagine I can unplug the
original one and build the 2nd one with the same name and the E2K should
connect to the existing storage group.  Is this true?  Is there a better
way.  Note: we have 2 servers with ADS.

Thanks in advance.

Replacing existing exchange server with a new one...

Post by T. Pha » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 05:57:24

The better wa is to install a second E2k in the same Organization and move
the Mailboxes to the new server.
Don't forget to rehome the Public Folders and OAB.

If every thing work well you can first shutdown the old W2k.
After few days you then can deinstall the old E2k

Quote:> Sorry for the basic questions, but I just fell into administering an
> existing e2k installation :(

> The existing server on which my E2K runs is screwy.  I'd like to setup a
> second E2K server to replace the existing one.   I imagine I can unplug
the
> original one and build the 2nd one with the same name and the E2K should
> connect to the existing storage group.  Is this true?  Is there a better
> way.  Note: we have 2 servers with ADS.

> Thanks in advance.

1. Replacing existing server with new one

We had one Exchange 5.5 SP3 server in our site.  I wanted to replace it.  I added
a new box with Exchage 5.5 SP4 to our site following instructions in Q152959.
Moved all public folders, users, etc to new box.  Setup new X.400 connector to
the rest of our organization.  The old server is still in place.

I thought everything was working fine until I discovered that all new users I
create are unable to get mail from the outside world (migrated users work fine).
The sending client gets an NDR to the effect that the recipient was not
recognized. This message is coming from MTS on the Exchange server on the other
end of our X.400 connector.

While researching this problem, I noted that in the Directory Replication
Container, I neglected to change the local bridgehead server from the old one to
the new one.  Could this be the source of my pain?  If not, any ideas would be
appreciated.

2. Int'l version of Win Messaging update?

3. Replacing existing Exchange Server onto new computer

4. Cannot update custom property values in Web Storage System

5. Making a new exchange server to replace existing.

6. MS Exchange Admin - Contractors Needed in Toronto

7. !!Help New Back Office Server to Replace Existing Exchange 5.5

8. forward attachments

9. Best way to replace an existing exchange server with new hardware

10. Replacing current exchange server with a new one using a different server name

11. Replace old exchange server to new one

12. Replacing old Exchange servers with new ones

13. Howto replace the existing exchange 2000 with a new exc2k box