messages in inbound imc queue

Post by Tom Rodger » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:45:19

I have about 2 dozen messages in the "inbound messages awaiting delivery" queue
in the internet mail service connector.  When I check the details of some it says
the message has been delivered or deleted.  When I refresh the message remains.
If I delete an old message (over a month old) and refresh, it does not
disappear.  These messages are not in the imcdata\in folder, but may be in the
imcdata\in\archive folder.  Where are these messages if they are undelivered, and
is there a way to get the queue to show the actual current status?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tom

messages in inbound imc queue

Post by Bailey Garriso » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 08:04:44

Have you tried stopping and restarting the IMS to see if they disappear?
Archive shouldn't matter.  We have a 48 hour window to deliver too, what's
your window?

--
Bailey Garrison
Apollo Group, Inc.

I have about 2 dozen messages in the "inbound messages awaiting delivery"
queue
in the internet mail service connector.  When I check the details of some it
says
the message has been delivered or deleted.  When I refresh the message
remains.
If I delete an old message (over a month old) and refresh, it does not
disappear.  These messages are not in the imcdata\in folder, but may be in
the
imcdata\in\archive folder.  Where are these messages if they are
undelivered, and
is there a way to get the queue to show the actual current status?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tom

messages in inbound imc queue

Post by SuperBa » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 00:40:49

These messages no longer exist. It's true they have been delivered. You
may have experienced some server problems recently which may have caused
inconsistencies in your IS logs.

You need to run an mtacheck with the /rl switch to remove unwanted link
monitor messages. If the messages are user messages rather than System
messages you made need to perform an isinteg to check the integrity of
your information store.

I have found that you can manually delete very old messages by emptying
them from \exchsrvr\IMCData\in when the IMS service is stopped. Be
certain to check the date stamp in explorer so as not to delete messages
which have just arrived.

Super

Posted At: Friday, February 02, 2001 10:45 PM
Posted To: admin
Conversation: messages in inbound imc queue
Subject: messages in inbound imc queue

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:06:16

>These messages no longer exist. It's true they have been delivered. You
>may have experienced some server problems recently which may have caused
>inconsistencies in your IS logs.

"Inbound awaiting delivery" would mean the messages are in the MTS-IN
folder and haven't yet been picked up by the MTA. OTOH, it may also
mean that the messages really don't exist at all, but that the
imcdata\queue.dat file simply thinks they exist.

The first course of action would be to stop the IMS and delete the
imcdata\queue.dat file. Restart the IMS (which will rebuild the file
from the contents of the imcdata directory and the MTS-OUT and MTS-IN
folders) and see if those message still show up.

If they do, you can use the MDBVU32 tool to examine (and remove) the
contents of the MTS-IN folder (after stopping the IMS, of course).

XFOR: How to View or Delete Messages in MTS-IN and MTS-OUT Queue
[Q165505]

Or you can use GWCLEAN to move the contents of the MTS-IN, MTS-OUT, an
BAD folders to PST files (thereby removing them from the Exchange
server).

Quote:>You need to run an mtacheck with the /rl switch to remove unwanted link
>monitor messages. If the messages are user messages rather than System
>messages you made need to perform an isinteg to check the integrity of
>your information store.

I doubt the MTA is the culprit, here.

Quote:>I have found that you can manually delete very old messages by emptying
>them from \exchsrvr\IMCData\in when the IMS service is stopped. Be
>certain to check the date stamp in explorer so as not to delete messages
>which have just arrived.

If you do this, you should also remove the imcdata\queue.dat file, in
which the IMS maintains its queuing data.

Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP