Exchange 5.5

Post by Shannon Dickerso » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:29:31

I have been given a mission impossible.  I have been asked to find all email
messages on a certain topic for the last year that have been sent or
received by our employees.  Obviously, these messages have been deleted at
different points throughtout the year.  We do daily backups but overwrite
them each week.  We do a monthly backup and store offsite.  Therfore, the
best I can do is restore from the monthly backup tapes and try to find these
messages. (I now plan on changing my backup routine due to this).  I have
Exchange 5.5 on an NT box.  I don't want to restore into this database.  I
am building another box with Exchange on it to restore to.  Do I have to
build an NT box with 5.5 or can I build a 2K box with 2000 and restore.  Is
it possible to restore from 5.5 into 2000?  Can 5.5 be loaded on a 2000
server?  Does the new box with Exchange need to be setup exactly like the
other one?

Any suggestions on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Shannon

Exchange 5.5

Post by Michael L. Littl » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 05:56:59

I am not an Exchange expert, but I have had to build a box for restoring.
You can install Exchange 5.5 on a Windows 2000 server, but you cannot
install Exchange 2000 on a NT 4.0 server.  You do not want to set this box
up the same as your production server.  Install your OS and Exchange with
different names and IPs.  Redirect your backup database files to the new
server.  You may need to do a little fine tuning, but this will work.  I had
to build a temp Exchange server to restore mailboxes numerous times.

I hope this helps you rather than steer you the wrong way.

Quote:> I have been given a mission impossible.  I have been asked to find all
email
> messages on a certain topic for the last year that have been sent or
> received by our employees.  Obviously, these messages have been deleted at
> different points throughtout the year.  We do daily backups but overwrite
> them each week.  We do a monthly backup and store offsite.  Therfore, the
> best I can do is restore from the monthly backup tapes and try to find
these
> messages. (I now plan on changing my backup routine due to this).  I have
> Exchange 5.5 on an NT box.  I don't want to restore into this database.  I
> am building another box with Exchange on it to restore to.  Do I have to
> build an NT box with 5.5 or can I build a 2K box with 2000 and restore.
Is
> it possible to restore from 5.5 into 2000?  Can 5.5 be loaded on a 2000
> server?  Does the new box with Exchange need to be setup exactly like the
> other one?

> Any suggestions on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

> Shannon

Exchange 5.5

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/administration/55/BackupRe...

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill