Accessing Exchange via LDAP protocol

Post by Schmohn Coma » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Running NT4 w/ SP-5 and ESE 5.5 w/ SP-3. I have enabled the LDAP protocol
using the default authentication methods. (This includes anonomous login).
When the exchange services start, when I check the event viewer I get the
following two msgs:

Event ID: 1305
Desc: The LDAP server is starting on port number 389

Event ID: 1310
Desc: The LDAP SSL server is starting on port number 636

So it appears that LDAP is functioning properly, but when configure OL
Express to use LDAP(or any other program) to connect to exchange via LDAP, I
get no connection. What could be the problem?

Accessing Exchange via LDAP protocol

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/support/c.asp?FR=0
and search for
LDAP exchange protocol
about All products against Full text

> Running NT4 w/ SP-5 and ESE 5.5 w/ SP-3. I have enabled the LDAP protocol
> using the default authentication methods. (This includes anonomous login).
> When the exchange services start, when I check the event viewer I get the
> following two msgs:

> Event ID: 1305
> Desc: The LDAP server is starting on port number 389

> Event ID: 1310
> Desc: The LDAP SSL server is starting on port number 636

> So it appears that LDAP is functioning properly, but when configure OL
> Express to use LDAP(or any other program) to connect to exchange via LDAP, I
> get no connection. What could be the problem?

group).

Kirill

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Running NT4 w/ SP-5 and ESE 5.5 w/ SP-3. I have enabled the LDAP protocol
>using the default authentication methods. (This includes anonomous login).
>When the exchange services start, when I check the event viewer I get the
>following two msgs:

>Event ID: 1305
>Desc: The LDAP server is starting on port number 389

>Event ID: 1310
>Desc: The LDAP SSL server is starting on port number 636

>So it appears that LDAP is functioning properly, but when configure OL
>Express to use LDAP(or any other program) to connect to exchange via LDAP, I
>get no connection. What could be the problem?

What happens if you run telnet right from the keyboard of the Exchange
server and connect to port 127.0.0.1 on port 389? Do you cet connected
or is the connection refused (which is what I think you're saying is
happening). Or, try running OE right from the server.

Are you using the FQDN or the IP address?

If you run "netstat -a" on the server, do you find port 389 in the
"LISTENING" state?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Accessing Exchange via LDAP protocol

Post by Schmoh » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I ran netstat -a and port 389 is listening.  Ran telnet from the exchange
server using 127.0.0.1 and port 389, I seemed that I got connected put the
system did not display it, and when I hit enter I get blank line entries.

I also, configured OE (4.01, SP-2) on the exchange server itself and tried
using LDAP, did not work.

I tried using both the machine name and the ip address to use LDAP did not
work.  What else can I try, reinstall Exchange SP-3?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I ran netstat -a and port 389 is listening.  Ran telnet from the exchange
>server using 127.0.0.1 and port 389, I seemed that I got connected put the
>system did not display it, and when I hit enter I get blank line entries.

That's okay. As long as you were connected that's the expected
behavior.

Quote:>I also, configured OE (4.01, SP-2) on the exchange server itself and tried
>using LDAP, did not work.

>I tried using both the machine name and the ip address to use LDAP did not
>work.  What else can I try, reinstall Exchange SP-3?

Do you also have ILS (or any other LDAP server) installed on this
server? If so, Exchange will have to use a different port for LDAP and
the OE clinet will have to connect to that port instead of 389.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Accessing Exchange via LDAP protocol

Post by Schmohn Coma » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I tried all your suggestions and it still does not work.
Port 389 was listening.

What next?

> >Running NT4 w/ SP-5 and ESE 5.5 w/ SP-3. I have enabled the LDAP protocol
> >using the default authentication methods. (This includes anonomous
login).
> >When the exchange services start, when I check the event viewer I get the
> >following two msgs:

> >Event ID: 1305
> >Desc: The LDAP server is starting on port number 389

> >Event ID: 1310
> >Desc: The LDAP SSL server is starting on port number 636

> >So it appears that LDAP is functioning properly, but when configure OL
> >Express to use LDAP(or any other program) to connect to exchange via
LDAP, I
> >get no connection. What could be the problem?

> What happens if you run telnet right from the keyboard of the Exchange
> server and connect to port 127.0.0.1 on port 389? Do you cet connected
> or is the connection refused (which is what I think you're saying is
> happening). Or, try running OE right from the server.

> Are you using the FQDN or the IP address?

> If you run "netstat -a" on the server, do you find port 389 in the
> "LISTENING" state?

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Accessing Exchange via LDAP protocol

Running NT4 w/ SP-5 and ESE 5.5 w/ SP-3. I have enabled the LDAP protocol
using the default authentication methods. (This includes anonomous login).
When the exchange services start, when I check the event viewer I get the
following two msgs:

Event ID: 1305
Desc: The LDAP server is starting on port number 389

Event ID: 1310
Desc: The LDAP SSL server is starting on port number 636

So it appears that LDAP is functioning properly, but when configure OL
Express to use LDAP(or any other program) to connect to exchange via LDAP, I
get no connection. What could be the problem?

2. Question: APOP authentification with POP3 in Exchange 5.0?

3. Connectivityto Exch2000

4. Outlook clients only start when IE4 connected

5. authenticating via LDAP protocol w/exchange

6. 7031

7. Accessing Exchange Directories via LDAP

8. accessing Exchange Class via LDAP and ADO

9. Reading Exchange Directory via LDAP or Access..

10. accessing exchange directory via LDAP

11. Accessing Exchange via VBscript &LDAP