How do you move a mailbox to another container on the same server?

How do you move a mailbox to another container on the same server?

Post by James Clar » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

On Exchange Server 4.0, if you have 2 containers and you want to move a
mailbox from container 1 to container 2 without deleting the mailbox, is it
possible?

Does the Exchange Resource kit have a utility to do this?

If you can't do it without deleting the mailbox in Ex Server 4, is Ex
Server 5 able to do it?

Thanks in advance,

James Clark

How do you move a mailbox to another container on the same server?

Post by Robin Wooalr » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

Let me know if you get any information on that.  I want to move
distribution lists from one container to another.

Robin Woolard

How do you move a mailbox to another container on the same server?

Post by Anthony Atkielsk » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

You have to delete the mailbox and recreate it.  This restriction arises
from the fact that the container name is part of the Distinguished Name of
the mailbox, and the DN must not change.
--
Anthony

Post by Noam Rathau » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

> You have to delete the mailbox and recreate it.  This restriction arises
> from the fact that the container name is part of the Distinguished Name of
> the mailbox, and the DN must not change.
> --
> Anthony

There is a "backdoor"  u can move the mailbox to another site/server and
move it back :) of course u need another site... but I have another
site made just for Administration and Exchange Testing.
--
Thanks
Noam Rathaus

ICQ number: 486098, Get ICQ at http://www.mirabilis.com

How do you move a mailbox to another container on the same server?

Post by Anthony Atkielsk » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

I don't know of any such backdoor.  You still must delete and recreate the
mailbox.  The only thing you can do without deleting and recreating is move
a mailbox from one server to another (but not from one container to
another) in the same site.
--
Anthony

Post by Noam Rathau » Sun, 04 May 1997 04:00:00

> I don't know of any such backdoor.  You still must delete and recreate the
> mailbox.  The only thing you can do without deleting and recreating is move
> a mailbox from one server to another (but not from one container to
> another) in the same site.
> --
> Anthony

As I said in my original letter, u can move mailboxes
from site to site, using a utility given in the resource
kit.
--
Thanks
Noam Rathaus
NT / Exchange / Network Administrator.
Certified CNA - Site Builder Network 2
Israel

ICQ number: 486098, Get ICQ at http://www.mirabilis.com

How do you move a mailbox to another container on the same server?

Post by Anthony Atkielsk » Sun, 04 May 1997 04:00:00

The tool in the migration kit copies mailbox content from an existing
mailbox in one site to an existing mailbox in another site.  This isn't
quite the same as actually moving the mailbox.
--
Anthony

> > I don't know of any such backdoor.  You still must delete and recreate
the
> > mailbox.  The only thing you can do without deleting and recreating is
move
> > a mailbox from one server to another (but not from one container to
> > another) in the same site.
> > --
> > Anthony
> As I said in my original letter, u can move mailboxes
> from site to site, using a utility given in the resource
> kit.
> --
> Thanks
> Noam Rathaus
> NT / Exchange / Network Administrator.
> Certified CNA - Site Builder Network 2
> Israel

> ICQ number: 486098, Get ICQ at http://www.mirabilis.com

How do you move a mailbox to another container on the same server?

Post by Anthony Atkielsk » Sun, 04 May 1997 04:00:00

Which one?  The only one I noticed that seemed to move a mailbox (or
anything similar to that) was as described below.  It was intended for
moving users from a pilot system to an independent production system, but
apparently it can be used for other purposes.
--
Anthony