Reading MTA files

Post by Lior Lange » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 21:00:42

Hello.

In case of a virus worm, The MTA goes up to 30000 + queue.
There is no way to delete each file in it or detect which one is the virus
(except for large group from the same user) so we usually kill the MTA,
delete the MTADATA dir & build it (boot env...).

Does anyone know a VB/C code to open the MTA message files and detect the
subject of the message?

Thanks

Lior Langer

Reading MTA files

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:44:21

>In case of a virus worm, The MTA goes up to 30000 + queue.
>There is no way to delete each file in it or detect which one is the virus
>(except for large group from the same user) so we usually kill the MTA,
>delete the MTADATA dir & build it (boot env...).

>Does anyone know a VB/C code to open the MTA message files and detect the
>subject of the message?

The FINDBIN tool is what's been used in the past to clean up clogged
MTA's. There's a copy of it on the MS FTP site -- somewhere (I forget
the URL but it had to do with one of the e-mail worms, probably
ILOVEYOU).

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Need Help on reading EDB echange 5.5 Log file files

I have exchange 5.5 and lost a mailbox that wasn't being
backed up by veritas.
I need to retrieve an email and it's in the EDB000xx.log
file. I am unable to read the encrytption in the body from
many attempts. as far as I know, its in quoted-printable
format. I tried cutting out and pasting, and saving as a
msg. format, putting it in my mailbox, but it failed,
does anyone have any ideas!
the message is related to legal and needs to be retrieved!

2. Exchange Admin won't allow login

3. Help! - Exchange MTA error 2171 (reading object attribute)

4. ESE97, Event ID 116

5. (Exchange 5.5) can i read messages in mta?

6. OWA, Swedish character

7. MTA Errors, and file growth out of control

8. Please Don't Dialup my ISP!

9. MTA corrupted object file

10. 4,800 files in my MTA directory!!!

11. MTA *.dat files