Migrating From MDaemon to Exchange 2000 Server Problems

Migrating From MDaemon to Exchange 2000 Server Problems

Post by Luk » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 02:55:19

The situation:

Currently running POP/SMTP on MDaemon 6.0.7 to host our company.com

and storing emails in a .PST file on a network drive. All incoming
SMTP traffic on port 25 is forwarded to this server using NAT. I plan
on migrating all users (about 150) to our Exchange server shortly.

I've just setup Exchange 2000 on a Win2k server, and it is running
properly. Recipients and mailboxes are setup using the same username
as the accounts in MDaemon, and serving the same domain. So email
addresses will not change. I have a custom maintenance file setup
already to change the Outlook profiles to point at the Exchange server
and use the mailbox store rather than the PST when I'm ready.

The dilemma:

I'd prefer to migrate users incrementally rather than all at once. As
far as I can tell, that means having both MDaemon and Exchange running
simultaneously for a while. The main reason for doing it incrementally
is because once the clients are using their mailbox store in Exchange,
we will have to import their PST file; and that could take up a lot of
time and network resources.

The question:

- Is there a way to have both servers running at once? I've thought of
a few things, but in each case i think local email would not be sent
between the two. So user1, accessing Exchange, trying to send mail to
user2, who is still accessing MDaemon, will not work. If it is
possible, what are the steps?

- Is there any way to automate import of pst files?

Please offer any advice you can.  Thank you for your time.
Luke

1. Migrating From MDaemon to Exchange 2000 Server Problems

[...]

2. cannot send internal mail

3. Migrating from Mdaemon to Exchange 5.5

4. Documenting EFD vs VB for eforms development

5. Migrating from one Exchange 2000 server to a new Exchange 2000 server

6. Exchange5.0sp1 Event Warnings

7. Migrating data base from MDaemon

8. Exchange 4.0 enterprize ed. DSAMAIN.exe error

9. Exchange 2000 & MDaemon

10. migrating exchange 5.5 on nt4 server to exchange 2000 on win2000 server in same domain

11. Exchange 2000 and Mdaemon

12. migrate to 2000 server and exchange 2000

13. Problems Migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003