Exch 5.5 sp1 install failure (not OWA or anything in system32)

Exch 5.5 sp1 install failure (not OWA or anything in system32)

Post by Sam Mortime » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I tried to install sp1 (downloaded from mirrored ftp site, datestamp is the
same as on microsoft's ftp site, 24th July) on our Exch 5.5 server (i386
architecture) last night.  It failed in a quite bizarre manner.

update got as far as copying the new files over and then got to the part
where it installs services and updates the registry.  I shortly got a pop-up
stop box saying the `specified path could not be found.'  I click ok and the
update bombs out.  I then re-ran the update, but this time with filemon.exe
(http://www.ntinternals.com) running in the background.  The last thing
update.exe tried to do was access the file
\exchsrvr\address\ms\alpha\pcproxy.dll.  umm...but this is an i386 machine
(I have a ms\i386\pcproxy.dll, which was the previous thing which update.exe
had updated).  ok, so i created a dummy alpha directory and put in an empty
pcproxy.dll file.  Ran setup again, this time it gets a bit further, it goes
as far as restarting SA and DS services and then fails with another pop-up
box (with a red cross, like before) saying `the operation was successful.'
I click ok and update.exe says it was interrupted and then halts.

I ended up deciding to remove the installation, reinstall 5.5 and then
pulling in my backups.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?  the server is a plain
NT4.0 os with sp3 (additional software is Dr Soloman's anti-virus agent
(which i tried disabling) and Zetafax (again disabled).

Cheers,
-Sam.

Exch 5.5 sp1 install failure (not OWA or anything in system32)

Post by Marcello Marque » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The KB article below, though not obviously related to your problem, seems to
indicate a pattern of conflicts between Exchange and Antivirus software. You
may want to trythe procedures suggested by MS to see if they solve the
problem.

best regards,

Marcello Marques
Sao Paulo - SP - Brazil

PSS ID Number: Q174746
Article last modified on 02-27-1998

5.5

winnt

 - Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5

SUMMARY
=======

When you use Innoculan anti-virus software on a Windows NT Server version
4.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3) computer running Microsoft Exchange Server, the
Exchange Directory (DS) service will not start. In the Windows NT Event
Viewer Application log, you will see the following error:

   Unexpected NT API error: 0XC000000D
   MSExchange DS ((153) ) - 1022
   Error -1022 has occurred (internal ID 2030149). Contact Microsoft
   Technical Support for assistance.
   The Microsoft Exchange Server database (EDB) could not be initialized
   and returned error -1022. Unrecoverable error, the directory can't
   continue.

This is because Innoculan installs a file system filter that disables the
JET engine ESE97, from addressing database files.

WORKAROUND
==========

One of the two following workarounds may be used if Innoculan is installed
on the Exchange Server.

1. Uninstall Innoculan and restart the computer. Disabling the Innoculan
   service is not sufficient.
2. Install a Windows NT hotfix that been released to customers as part of
   the roll-up hotfixes that are recommended in the readme.doc file for
   Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5. These hotfixes are available at:

      ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/nt40/
      hotfixes-postSP3/roll-up/

   Note: If you later re-install Windows NT Service Packs, you must also
   re-install the hotfixes regardless of your responses to the Overwrite
   Newer Files prompts during the Service Pack installation.

MORE INFORMATION
================

This same error has occured with Norton NT Tools version 1.0 installed.
Disabling the Norton service does not work, it must be removed.

Omtool Fax Senior 2.5 will produce this error with an internal ID of
2030148. The hotfix noted above also corrects this problem.

Additional query words: Innoculan
Keywords          : kbbug kbfix XADM kb3rdparty kbpatch kb3rdparty
Component         : JET
Version           : 5.5
Platform          : winnt
Issue type        : kbbug
Solution Type     : kbpatch kbservicepack
=
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

1. Exch 5.5 sp1 install failure (not OWA or anything in system32)

[...]

2. Exchange 5.5 Web Access Problem

3. Exch 5.5 Sp4 fails to install on W2k (Sp1)

4. exchange 5.5 on 2 domains

5. OWA Permissions on Exch 5.5 sp1

6. Sending SMTP mail without enclosing in X400 address

7. OWA Problem after exch 5.5 sp1

8. Outlook Access soooo slow...

9. OWA Exch 5.5 Logan Failure: User Account Restriction

10. Failure attaching files with OWA, Exch 5.5 and IE4.01SR1

11. NT Backup failure and EXCH 5 SP1

12. OWA (exchange 5.5) Install failure on Win2K machine.

13. Installing 5.5 SP1 over 5.0 for Improved OWA