Server not bouncing mail for non-existent users, filling disk

Server not bouncing mail for non-existent users, filling disk

Post by JayDub » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 05:34:36

Our Exchange 5.5 SP4 box is perpetually filling the disk
to near capacity, full of .dat files in the MTAData
directory.  All of the messages sitting in there are spams
sent to non-existent mailboxes at our domain.  The server
is accepting mail for these invalid boxes but not trying
to bounce it back, thus the MTAData directory is filling
the disk to capacity with undeliverable mail that just
sits there unprocessed.  Every couple days we have to shut
down Exchange and manually delete hundreds of thousands
of .dat files.

Any ideas what might be wrong, or is there any way to
force the server to perform a valid-recipient check before
accepting mail?  Undeliverable mail is collecting in this
directory at the rate of several gigs per week, so it's a
very serious problem for us.

TIA

Server not bouncing mail for non-existent users, filling disk

Post by MVP » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:52:00

You can control the number of .db files and threshold for size by a registry
tweak, see
http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3431&pg=1&show=597.
For all your non-existent users in your domain, create a Distribution List
with no members.  Add the non-existent user SMTP address to the DL list.
This will automagically take care of the messages.  Not sure why you are not
receiving the associated NDR's with these messages.

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

Quote:> Our Exchange 5.5 SP4 box is perpetually filling the disk