Ex5 sp1 (NT4sp3) NTBackup question

Post by MSNEW » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I had read somewhere about SP3 not installing the newer NTbackup properly, I
cannot find the article now that I need it. I know ntbackup is supposed to
do online full backups, but mine is not, it skips priv.edb and pub.edb.
Would someone refresh my memory about this?

Rob

Post by Rich Matheis » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I had read somewhere about SP3 not installing the newer NTbackup properly, I
>cannot find the article now that I need it. I know ntbackup is supposed to
>do online full backups, but mine is not, it skips priv.edb and pub.edb.
>Would someone refresh my memory about this?

A full backup of the entire volume isn't using the Exchange specific
part of the backup. The files are seen as just a few of the (probably)
several thousand occupying your disk. Since the files are in use they
are skipped, just as other open files are.

Click on the "Operations | Microsoft Exchange..." menu item to perform
a backup of the running Exchange server.