Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Sandy Proesc » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:27:00

I just moved from a W2K workstation to an XP-SP1 workstation.  Cannot seem
to install the System Management Tools for our Exchange 2000 server.  I
downloaded and installed the hotfix described in Technet having to do with
this problem, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  When I try to install
the tools, I get the error:  Microsoft Exchange 2000 has an unknown
installation problem.

Am I missing something simple?  Anyone who has run into this problem and
discovered a way around it, please help.  Thanks.
--Sandy

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Dave Mill » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:25:40

What does the Exchange setup log in the root of your system drive show?

- Dave

Quote:> I just moved from a W2K workstation to an XP-SP1 workstation.  Cannot seem
> to install the System Management Tools for our Exchange 2000 server.  I
> downloaded and installed the hotfix described in Technet having to do with
> this problem, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  When I try to install
> the tools, I get the error:  Microsoft Exchange 2000 has an unknown
> installation problem.

> Am I missing something simple?  Anyone who has run into this problem and
> discovered a way around it, please help.  Thanks.
> --Sandy

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Sandy Proesc » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 03:01:30

Thanks for pointing me toward that file.  I haven't quite figured out what's
wrong, but I have some questions about what's there.  For one thing, it
seems to reference quite a few things on my K drive, for instance:
K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536.  Where is it getting K from?  My
K drive is a data drive.  I'm installing off the CD, I guess I need to find
out why it thinks my K drive is involved.  The full error (the first of
many) is:

CService::ScQueryServiceConfig (K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536)
           Error code 0XC0070424 (1060): The specified service does not
exist as an installed service.

> What does the Exchange setup log in the root of your system drive show?

> - Dave

> > I just moved from a W2K workstation to an XP-SP1 workstation.  Cannot
seem
> > to install the System Management Tools for our Exchange 2000 server.  I
> > downloaded and installed the hotfix described in Technet having to do
with
> > this problem, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  When I try to
install
> > the tools, I get the error:  Microsoft Exchange 2000 has an unknown
> > installation problem.

> > Am I missing something simple?  Anyone who has run into this problem and
> > discovered a way around it, please help.  Thanks.
> > --Sandy

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Sandy Proesc » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 03:48:23

Okay, I'm making progress.  Turned out that my Exchange Services and
Exchange Servers groups had been moved out of the Users containers, so the
setup program couldn't find them.  Now I get further and then I get an error
indicating that NNTP services are not found.  Are we talking about NNTP
services on the Exchange server or on my workstation?  Why is this so much
more complicated than installing system manager on a W2K system?

> Thanks for pointing me toward that file.  I haven't quite figured out
what's
> wrong, but I have some questions about what's there.  For one thing, it
> seems to reference quite a few things on my K drive, for instance:
> K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536.  Where is it getting K from?
My
> K drive is a data drive.  I'm installing off the CD, I guess I need to
find
> out why it thinks my K drive is involved.  The full error (the first of
> many) is:

> CService::ScQueryServiceConfig (K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536)
>            Error code 0XC0070424 (1060): The specified service does not
> exist as an installed service.

> > What does the Exchange setup log in the root of your system drive show?

> > - Dave

> > > I just moved from a W2K workstation to an XP-SP1 workstation.  Cannot
> seem
> > > to install the System Management Tools for our Exchange 2000 server.
> > > downloaded and installed the hotfix described in Technet having to do
> with
> > > this problem, but that doesn't seem to have helped.  When I try to
> install
> > > the tools, I get the error:  Microsoft Exchange 2000 has an unknown
> > > installation problem.

> > > Am I missing something simple?  Anyone who has run into this problem
and
> > > discovered a way around it, please help.  Thanks.
> > > --Sandy

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Dave Mill » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:07:22

It's referring to the NNTP service on your local machine.  You have to have
the service installed so that the necessary files to do the administration
of the NNTP components are installed.

- Dave

> Okay, I'm making progress.  Turned out that my Exchange Services and
> Exchange Servers groups had been moved out of the Users containers, so the
> setup program couldn't find them.  Now I get further and then I get an
error
> indicating that NNTP services are not found.  Are we talking about NNTP
> services on the Exchange server or on my workstation?  Why is this so much
> more complicated than installing system manager on a W2K system?

> > Thanks for pointing me toward that file.  I haven't quite figured out
> what's
> > wrong, but I have some questions about what's there.  For one thing, it
> > seems to reference quite a few things on my K drive, for instance:
> > K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536.  Where is it getting K from?
> My
> > K drive is a data drive.  I'm installing off the CD, I guess I need to
> find
> > out why it thinks my K drive is involved.  The full error (the first of
> > many) is:

> > CService::ScQueryServiceConfig

(K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536)

> >            Error code 0XC0070424 (1060): The specified service does not
> > exist as an installed service.

> > > What does the Exchange setup log in the root of your system drive
show?

> > > - Dave

Cannot
> > seem
> > with
> > install

> and

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Ben Winzen » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:52:15

Pull the crack pipe out.  XP Pro does not have NNTP Service installed.  It
isn't even an option if you choose to install IIS.  For the record, I do not
have a single part of IIS installed on my local machine, yet I seem to be
able to run ESM just fine on my XP Pro SP1 computer (you should have the
SMTP service installed, but disable it afterwards).  The only thing that you
have to have installed prior to installing ESM is the Patch that tells
Exchange setup not to look for the Windows 2000 Admin tools.  The KB article
that documents this can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B815529

--
Ben Winzenz
Network Engineer

> It's referring to the NNTP service on your local machine.  You have to
have
> the service installed so that the necessary files to do the administration
> of the NNTP components are installed.

> - Dave

> > Okay, I'm making progress.  Turned out that my Exchange Services and
> > Exchange Servers groups had been moved out of the Users containers, so
the
> > setup program couldn't find them.  Now I get further and then I get an
> error
> > indicating that NNTP services are not found.  Are we talking about NNTP
> > services on the Exchange server or on my workstation?  Why is this so
much
> > more complicated than installing system manager on a W2K system?

> > > Thanks for pointing me toward that file.  I haven't quite figured out
> > what's
> > > wrong, but I have some questions about what's there.  For one thing,
it
> > > seems to reference quite a few things on my K drive, for instance:
> > > K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536.  Where is it getting K
from?
> > My
> > > K drive is a data drive.  I'm installing off the CD, I guess I need to
> > find
> > > out why it thinks my K drive is involved.  The full error (the first
of
> > > many) is:

> > > CService::ScQueryServiceConfig
> (K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536)
> > >            Error code 0XC0070424 (1060): The specified service does
not
> > > exist as an installed service.

> show?

> Cannot
> > > seem
> do
> > > with
> > > install

> > and

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Sandy Proesc » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:21:26

Thanks, I appreciate your reply, but I have done all that and now I'm
getting the you need NNTP installed error and have discovered that I don't
have the service anywhere to install for my XP Pro workstation.  I'm
encouraged to know at least someone IS running it on XP.  I have installed
IIS and SMTP is running (I'll disable it if I ever get this thing going),
and I've installed the patch.  My Exchange Services and Exhange Server
groups are now where setup expects them in Active Directory.  Still no go.

Quote:> Pull the crack pipe out.  XP Pro does not have NNTP Service installed.  It
> isn't even an option if you choose to install IIS.  For the record, I do
not
> have a single part of IIS installed on my local machine, yet I seem to be
> able to run ESM just fine on my XP Pro SP1 computer (you should have the
> SMTP service installed, but disable it afterwards).  The only thing that
you
> have to have installed prior to installing ESM is the Patch that tells
> Exchange setup not to look for the Windows 2000 Admin tools.  The KB
article
> that documents this can be found here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B815529

> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Network Engineer
> Gardner & White

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Sandy Proesc » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:30:38

Success!  I removed and then reinstalled the patch and was finally able to
run the setup.  Not sure which part of the tweaking did it, but thanks for
just brainstorming with me until I got it going.

Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP Pro

Post by Dave Mill » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:32:14

Ben, you are correct, I got it confused with what you have to do to install
the admin tools from Exchange 2003 RC1 on a Windows 2003 server.

Sandy, are you sure that you are selecting a Custom install and only
installing the Exchange Management components?

- Dave

> Pull the crack pipe out.  XP Pro does not have NNTP Service installed.  It
> isn't even an option if you choose to install IIS.  For the record, I do
not
> have a single part of IIS installed on my local machine, yet I seem to be
> able to run ESM just fine on my XP Pro SP1 computer (you should have the
> SMTP service installed, but disable it afterwards).  The only thing that
you
> have to have installed prior to installing ESM is the Patch that tells
> Exchange setup not to look for the Windows 2000 Admin tools.  The KB
article
> that documents this can be found here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B815529

> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Network Engineer
> Gardner & White

> > It's referring to the NNTP service on your local machine.  You have to
> have
> > the service installed so that the necessary files to do the
administration
> > of the NNTP components are installed.

> > - Dave

> > > Okay, I'm making progress.  Turned out that my Exchange Services and
> > > Exchange Servers groups had been moved out of the Users containers, so
> the
> > > setup program couldn't find them.  Now I get further and then I get an
> > error
> > > indicating that NNTP services are not found.  Are we talking about
NNTP
> > > services on the Exchange server or on my workstation?  Why is this so
> much
> > > more complicated than installing system manager on a W2K system?

> > > what's
> it
> from?
> > > My
> > > find
> of

> > (K:\admin\src\libs\exsetup\service.cxx:536)
> not

> > show?

> > Cannot
> server.
> > do
> unknown

> problem
> > > and

1. installing the Exchange 2000 System Manager on XP pro

Hi,

  I'm trying to Install the Exchange 2000 System Manager
on a Windows XP professional Client with SP1A applied. I
keep getting the error the I have to install the Active
Directory Components First. I have done this by Installing
the AdminPak shipped with .Net server CD. The windows 2000
adminpak will not install on the XP client. It reports
that it is the wrong Operating System. Does anybody know
where I might get an exchange 2000 system manager setup
that will install on an XP professional PC.

  Many Thanks for Any Help!!!!

2. PAB Problem Win3.11

3. Exchange 2003-System Manager on XP Pro

4. POP mail send/receiver - Exch 5.5

5. Exchange System Manager on XP Pro

6. <<Adding rule from server-Not enough space Error Message

7. System Manager windows XP Pro

8. e-mail fowarding

9. Problem installing Exchange 2000 manager on windows XP Pro

10. Exchange 2000 System Managment tools install for Windows XP Pro

11. Solution For : Exchange 2000 System Managment tools install for Windows XP Pro

12. how do I install exchange system manager on win 2000 pro

13. Can't network Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Home System