MS Exchange automatically creates SMTP addresses for Public folders

MS Exchange automatically creates SMTP addresses for Public folders

Post by Johan Sleyp » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:52:20

Hello,

I was wondering how I can disable MS Exchange from automatically
creating SMTP addresses for Public folders when IMS is set up.

I don't want all the public folders to have SMTP addresses only some
of them.

I'm using MS Exchange 5.5

And because we use a lot of PF's I occasionaly am unable to create an
SMTP address because it is already taken by some folder.

And then try to find out which one in Exchange if you've got 12.000
folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Johan Sleypen

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:25:43

>I was wondering how I can disable MS Exchange from automatically
>creating SMTP addresses for Public folders when IMS is set up.

You cannot.

Quote:>I don't want all the public folders to have SMTP addresses only some
>of them.

Having all of them possess a SMTP address isn't too bad. Just don't
give the "Default" user on the folder the permission to create a
message.Any message sent to the folder using SMTP will be returned as
undeliverable.

Quote:>And because we use a lot of PF's I occasionaly am unable to create an
>SMTP address because it is already taken by some folder.

Then name the folders differently.

Quote:>And then try to find out which one in Exchange if you've got 12.000
>folders.

Gladly. I've got about three times that many folders.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. E-mail addresses for mail enabled Public Folders are not automatically created

I have an Exchange 2000 Enterprise server running in
Native Mode.  It is running on Windows 2000 Server w/ SP2.

When I create a Public Folder, it is already mail
enabled.  However, when I go to the Properties of the
Public Folder via Exchange System Manager, there are NO e-
mail addresses that are created.

I manually created an SMTP address for the folder, but
this only allows delivery from within my organization.
Delivery to the Public Folder from outside the
organization does not work.

Why aren't the e-mail addresses being created
automatically?  If I have to create the addresses
manually, what type of e-mail address to I have to create
besides SMTP to allow for delivery from outside my
organization?

Thanks.

2. Joining a server to an existing site

3. Cannot create SMTP addresses - \address\SMTP\i386\inproxy.dll

4. Tracking Mailbox Access

5. ** Call for Beta Testers - MS Exchange File Server (Automatically Publish PC Documents to Exchange Folders) **

6. Repeating outbound mail

7. Ad- Exchange 2000 design question

8. Exchange won't create email addresses automatically

9. Generating/Creating multiple Exchange email addresses automatically

10. Creating an additional e-mail address automatically in Exchange