MTADATA is increasing dbxxxxxx.dat

Post by Otto Brit » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:44:56

Exchange 5.5 sp4 (Alpha) NT4 sp6a

My Exchange\MTADATA is increasing with files dbxxxxxx.dat
and I do not know what to do to clean these files

I have files since November 1995 db000001.dat .... to now
(db00005.dat still in use)
There are 65 thousands files

Please what can I do ? may I remove these files ?
Is there an utility to execute ?

Post by John Oliver, Jr. [MVP » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:02:16

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/0/21.ASP

> Exchange 5.5 sp4 (Alpha) NT4 sp6a

> My Exchange\MTADATA is increasing with files dbxxxxxx.dat
> and I do not know what to do to clean these files

> I have files since November 1995 db000001.dat .... to now
> (db00005.dat still in use)
> There are 65 thousands files

> Please what can I do ? may I remove these files ?
> Is there an utility to execute ?

> > > Hello, a Dbxxxxx.dat file keeps filling in it is now 184MB every 20
> > > minutes this keeps filling with 20MB ! does anybody know the cause of
> > > this ??

> > > I don't see emails arriving at the client computers so i don't know if
> > > it is a mail bomb or something?

> > > regards
> > > Vincent defour
> > > data engineering

> > Vincent,

> > What version is your server? What is the current service pack level? It
> > sounds like you have a stuck message in a queue.

> > Regards,

> > --
> > Arlo Clizer
> > Exchange MVP
> > FAQ located at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

MTADATA is increasing dbxxxxxx.dat

Post by Al William » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:07:26

That number of files seems excessive.  Does your exchange server run its
maintenance tasks each night?  Check the event app log for any messages.
Also, running the MTACHECK utility may help -- check the exchange docs for
information on that.

--
Allan Williams
Harding Instruments

> Exchange 5.5 sp4 (Alpha) NT4 sp6a

> My Exchange\MTADATA is increasing with files dbxxxxxx.dat
> and I do not know what to do to clean these files

> I have files since November 1995 db000001.dat .... to now
> (db00005.dat still in use)
> There are 65 thousands files

> Please what can I do ? may I remove these files ?
> Is there an utility to execute ?

> > > Hello, a Dbxxxxx.dat file keeps filling in it is now 184MB every 20
> > > minutes this keeps filling with 20MB ! does anybody know the cause of
> > > this ??

> > > I don't see emails arriving at the client computers so i don't know if
> > > it is a mail bomb or something?

> > > regards
> > > Vincent defour
> > > data engineering

> > Vincent,

> > What version is your server? What is the current service pack level? It
> > sounds like you have a stuck message in a queue.

> > Regards,

> > --
> > Arlo Clizer
> > Exchange MVP
> > FAQ located at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

MTADATA is increasing dbxxxxxx.dat

Post by Otto Brit » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:39:00

I run mtacheck and i get the messsage:

database contains serious errors and cannot be automatically repaired

How to start a new queue ?
I do have to start a new one in order to start the mta service

Please how to MTAWIPE ?

I did a copy of the directory mtadata from installation cd to current
directory but still does not work

> That number of files seems excessive.  Does your exchange server run its
> maintenance tasks each night?  Check the event app log for any messages.
> Also, running the MTACHECK utility may help -- check the exchange docs for
> information on that.

> --
> Allan Williams
> Harding Instruments
> Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

> > Exchange 5.5 sp4 (Alpha) NT4 sp6a

> > My Exchange\MTADATA is increasing with files dbxxxxxx.dat
> > and I do not know what to do to clean these files

> > I have files since November 1995 db000001.dat .... to now
> > (db00005.dat still in use)
> > There are 65 thousands files

> > Please what can I do ? may I remove these files ?
> > Is there an utility to execute ?

> > > Vincent,

> > > What version is your server? What is the current service pack level?
It
> > > sounds like you have a stuck message in a queue.

> > > Regards,

> > > --
> > > Arlo Clizer
> > > Exchange MVP
> > > FAQ located at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

MTADATA is increasing dbxxxxxx.dat

Post by Al William » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:18:27

Be careful here, don't go replacing files.  You need to look at the event
viewer - application log and see what messages exchange is putting in there
while running and when you restart.  Also look at MS support online:
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp
and search for MTADATA).  Q231685 looked helpful.  I have never had a MTA
issue so I'm not sure I can be much more help other than pointing you in the
right direction.  Anyone else?

--
Allan Williams
Harding Instruments

> I run mtacheck and i get the messsage:

> database contains serious errors and cannot be automatically repaired

> How to start a new queue ?
> I do have to start a new one in order to start the mta service

> Please how to MTAWIPE ?

> I did a copy of the directory mtadata from installation cd to current
> directory but still does not work

> > That number of files seems excessive.  Does your exchange server run its
> > maintenance tasks each night?  Check the event app log for any messages.
> > Also, running the MTACHECK utility may help -- check the exchange docs
for
> > information on that.

> > --
> > Allan Williams
> > Harding Instruments
> > Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

> > > Exchange 5.5 sp4 (Alpha) NT4 sp6a

> > > My Exchange\MTADATA is increasing with files dbxxxxxx.dat
> > > and I do not know what to do to clean these files

> > > I have files since November 1995 db000001.dat .... to now
> > > (db00005.dat still in use)
> > > There are 65 thousands files

> > > Please what can I do ? may I remove these files ?
> > > Is there an utility to execute ?

> of

> if

> It

MTADATA is increasing dbxxxxxx.dat

Post by Rob » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:47:36

Otto,

Describe your Exchange environment.

Have you had many instances of message delivery problems?

The files in this folder consist of a few different things :-

- Core Files
- Queue Files
- Message files

Each message that is sent across a queue eg from one site to another site in
your Exchange Org will go to a Message File.  Once the file has been sent
the MTA will reduce the file down to 8 Kb (2 x 4 Kb page).  And it will
reuse them.

So if you send say 50 mails to recipients all over the place and things are
going "slow" it could result in up to 50 new files being created in this
folder, but as those messages get delivered the files will "zero" back down
to 8 Kb, and be marked as reusable, so if you send some more mail after the
first lot has gone, it won't generate more files.

Effectively this folder contains the maximum size ever of any of your
queues.  So it could be that in the past a server failed and over a weekend,
thousands of mails built up.  This means that thousands of files would have
existed in this folder on your server.

There are KB articles on how to clean them up.  But it's not to be taken too
lightly.  I would advise, if you have a support contract, to call PSS, and
ask them to take you through doing it.

Thanks

Rob

> Exchange 5.5 sp4 (Alpha) NT4 sp6a

> My Exchange\MTADATA is increasing with files dbxxxxxx.dat
> and I do not know what to do to clean these files

> I have files since November 1995 db000001.dat .... to now
> (db00005.dat still in use)
> There are 65 thousands files

> Please what can I do ? may I remove these files ?
> Is there an utility to execute ?

> > > Hello, a Dbxxxxx.dat file keeps filling in it is now 184MB every 20
> > > minutes this keeps filling with 20MB ! does anybody know the cause of
> > > this ??

> > > I don't see emails arriving at the client computers so i don't know if
> > > it is a mail bomb or something?

> > > regards
> > > Vincent defour
> > > data engineering

> > Vincent,

> > What version is your server? What is the current service pack level? It
> > sounds like you have a stuck message in a queue.

> > Regards,

> > --
> > Arlo Clizer
> > Exchange MVP
> > FAQ located at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

1. MTADATA\DBxxxxxx.DAT files

Can someone refresh my memory as to what these files are:
(C:\EXCHSRVR\MTADATA\DB00000xx.DAT)
Its been a while since I had much to do with Exchange.

There are about 100 of them in there and I want to know if I can clear them
out.

Thanks in advance,

Steve B

2. How to filter incoming mail ?

3. Exchange MTADATA dat files increasing in size

4. Exchange not sending queued mail

5. mtadata dat files

6. Event ID's -- definitions?

7. mtadata \ .DAT in use during backup ?

8. Setup Exchange 2000 into 5.5 site

9. .dat files in MTADATA folder

10. *.dat files in MTAData directory

11. mtadata *.dat files

12. Dat files in MTAdata directory

13. Multiple DAT files in MTAdata Directory