can't connect to server

Post by michae » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:14:23

My exchange server is setup as its own workgroup on a
network with another workgroup. (Actually, we are
configuring it for a client, so what we want to do is not
a permanent situation). DHCP is currently turned off on
the exchange server.

I have an XP workstation from which I am trying to
connect to the exchange server by clicking on the
workgroup icon in Microsoft Window Network. The both the
XP workstation and the user name are setup in Users and
Computers on the exchange server. I get the following
message:
<servername> is not accessible. you might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.

The network path was not found.

What do I need to do in order to see the exchange server
directories from the workstation. I can see the
workstation from the exchange server!
.

can't connect to server

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:16:54

>My exchange server is setup as its own workgroup on a
>network with another workgroup.

NOT! Exchange cannot be installed in a workgroup. The server must be a
member of a domain.

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>I have an XP workstation from which I am trying to
>connect to the exchange server by clicking on the
>workgroup icon in Microsoft Window Network. The both the
>XP workstation and the user name are setup in Users and
>Computers on the exchange server. I get the following
>message:
><servername> is not accessible. you might not have
>permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>administrator of this server to find out if you have
>access permissions.

>The network path was not found.

>What do I need to do in order to see the exchange server
>directories from the workstation.

I'd ask the administrator, just like the message says.

BTW, this has nothing at all to do with Exchange. Post your question
in the appropriate windows newsgroup or have alook through TechNet for
"browser" or "browsing".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP