Can I merge multiple Storage groups into one?

Can I merge multiple Storage groups into one?

Post by Christopher Barr » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:26:48

All,
    Hi. I searched around but can find nothing on this.

Here is the situation:
OldServer had E2k and all mailboxes.
NewServer was setup with E2k.
All mailboxes were moved from OldServer to NewServer
NewServer has its own storage group.
OldServer still has a storage group, and it is still quite large.
How can I get all of the data in the old storage group into the new storage
group?

I need to do this so I can completely wipe out the OldServer.

TIA,

--
Christopher Barry
SysAdmin

Can I merge multiple Storage groups into one?

Post by Christopher Barr » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 00:19:29

Please advise.

--
Christopher Barry
SysAdmin

Quote:> All,
>     Hi. I searched around but can find nothing on this.

> Here is the situation:
> OldServer had E2k and all mailboxes.
> NewServer was setup with E2k.
> All mailboxes were moved from OldServer to NewServer
> NewServer has its own storage group.
> OldServer still has a storage group, and it is still quite large.
> How can I get all of the data in the old storage group into the new
storage
> group?

> I need to do this so I can completely wipe out the OldServer.

> TIA,

> --
> Christopher Barry
> SysAdmin
> InfiniCon Systems

Can I merge multiple Storage groups into one?

Post by John Oliver, Jr » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 01:33:14

No you cannot merge stores.  I presume you are talking about moving both the
Mailbox and Public Stores.  Each store is a logical database that a
streaming database file .stm and rich text database file .edb.  For the
Mailbox Store, you should move all the mailboxes to another corresponding
store before deleting it.  Note, that if you try to delete a store that has
queued messages waiting to be delivered then you get an error.  IF you say
no to delete anyway you should get asked to select a new store to be used as
the inbound queue for SMTP messages.

For the Public Store, you must create a replica to replicate the data to
another server.  If you try to delete the Public Store you will receive a
warning that all data will be lost if you do not first replicate data to
another store.

Only other advice is to have a good backup in case something goes wrong or
is not copied correctly.

Quote:> All,
>     Hi. I searched around but can find nothing on this.

> Here is the situation:
> OldServer had E2k and all mailboxes.
> NewServer was setup with E2k.
> All mailboxes were moved from OldServer to NewServer
> NewServer has its own storage group.
> OldServer still has a storage group, and it is still quite large.
> How can I get all of the data in the old storage group into the new
storage
> group?

> I need to do this so I can completely wipe out the OldServer.

> TIA,

> --
> Christopher Barry
> SysAdmin
> InfiniCon Systems

Can I merge multiple Storage groups into one?

Post by Christopher Barr » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 04:17:41

John,
    Thanks for the info. What would happen if I simply attempted to
uninstall exchange off of the OldServer? I have moved all of the mailboxes
and have created replicas of the Public Folders already. (by the way, new
PFs are created on the NewServer first now, aren't they?) Would it gracefull
remove itself, and allow everything to occur from the NewServer? I'm kinda
confused.

Thanks so much for the knowledge,

--
Christopher Barry