Use Exchange 2000 to retrieve email from ISP by POPing each individual account

Use Exchange 2000 to retrieve email from ISP by POPing each individual account

Post by rache » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 19:00:55

Currently learning Exchange 2000 at home.

I can use Outlook or Outlook Express to retrieve email from my ISP (via
POP3) like every other home user.
ISPs often give customers multiple email addresses each with separate
passwords.

How can I get Exchange 2000 to do it? (That way I can configure Outlook to
use Exchange).
If the above is possible, is it also possible to configure Exchange to send
email? (forward the email
to the ISP's SMTP Server?)

Use Exchange 2000 to retrieve email from ISP by POPing each individual account

Post by Lanwenc » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 20:23:54

You'd need to use a third-party POP connector, which is not recommended if
you can avoid it. Ideally, you should set up your server to receive mail for
your domain via SMTP, the way it is meant to. See
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp_diatribe.htm...

Quote:> Currently learning Exchange 2000 at home.

> I can use Outlook or Outlook Express to retrieve email from my ISP (via
> POP3) like every other home user.
> ISPs often give customers multiple email addresses each with separate
> passwords.

> How can I get Exchange 2000 to do it? (That way I can configure Outlook to
> use Exchange).
> If the above is possible, is it also possible to configure Exchange to
send
> email? (forward the email
> to the ISP's SMTP Server?)

Use Exchange 2000 to retrieve email from ISP by POPing each individual account

Post by Tappy Tibbon » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 01:44:26

We are using SBS 2000, and it has a POP3 connector that allows this to
happen. It also has a SMTP connector for outbound.

I am not sure if this is available in the full version. I'm not sure why, or
how they determine what they will, and will not provide per version.

Figuring out what version has what, what connectors you need, etc. is a
labyrinth of confusion provided to you courtesy of the Microsoft marketing
department. It doesn't seem to be based on any real technical issues they
couldn't overcome, they just want to be sure they don't *ize their
other products, or can somehow coerce you into one of their other Enterprise
offerings by specifically limiting certain functionality you really need to
get something done simply and effectively.

I think Microsoft used to sell the connectors separately as well.

HTH.

I am not sure if the

Quote:> Currently learning Exchange 2000 at home.

> I can use Outlook or Outlook Express to retrieve email from my ISP (via
> POP3) like every other home user.
> ISPs often give customers multiple email addresses each with separate
> passwords.

> How can I get Exchange 2000 to do it? (That way I can configure Outlook to
> use Exchange).
> If the above is possible, is it also possible to configure Exchange to
send
> email? (forward the email
> to the ISP's SMTP Server?)

Use Exchange 2000 to retrieve email from ISP by POPing each individual account

Post by Y.W.Cho » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 02:26:28

Hi,

Tappy is not wrong in saying that the full version doesn't comes with an
built-in POP3 connector. You have to get an 3rd party solutions. For some
strange reason don't know why only SBS2000 has it and not the full version.

> We are using SBS 2000, and it has a POP3 connector that allows this to
> happen. It also has a SMTP connector for outbound.

> I am not sure if this is available in the full version. I'm not sure why,
or
> how they determine what they will, and will not provide per version.

> Figuring out what version has what, what connectors you need, etc. is a
> labyrinth of confusion provided to you courtesy of the Microsoft marketing
> department. It doesn't seem to be based on any real technical issues they
> couldn't overcome, they just want to be sure they don't *ize their
> other products, or can somehow coerce you into one of their other
Enterprise
> offerings by specifically limiting certain functionality you really need
> get something done simply and effectively.

> I think Microsoft used to sell the connectors separately as well.

> HTH.

> I am not sure if the

> > Currently learning Exchange 2000 at home.

> > I can use Outlook or Outlook Express to retrieve email from my ISP (via
> > POP3) like every other home user.
> > ISPs often give customers multiple email addresses each with separate
> > passwords.

> > How can I get Exchange 2000 to do it? (That way I can configure Outlook
> > use Exchange).
> > If the above is possible, is it also possible to configure Exchange to
> send
> > email? (forward the email
> > to the ISP's SMTP Server?)

1. Use Exchange 2000 to retrieve email from ISP by POPing each individual account

Currently learning Exchange 2000 at home.

I can use Outlook or Outlook Express to retrieve email from my ISP (via
POP3) like every other home user.
ISPs often give customers multiple email addresses each with separate
passwords.

How can I get Exchange 2000 to do it? (That way I can configure Outlook to
use Exchange).
If the above is possible, is it also possible to configure Exchange to send
email? (forward the email
to the ISP's SMTP Server?)

2. Send email through smtp connector

3. Best solution using Exchange 2000 to retrieve mail from ISP

4. Outlook opens internetconnection when connecting to Exchange2000

5. Using Exchange 2k to retrieve ISP email

6. Exchange Service Acount

7. Mail addressed to Internet Recipients in X.400 format?

8. Forward an exchange email account to ISP email account

9. Retrieving individual user account information in Exchange

10. using my exchange server 2000 to pick up my pop3 email from ISP

11. any solution to get my domain emails from ISP account ( not using IP)

12. Retrieving email from ISP in Exchange 5.5?