Minimum Outlook Client connection speed Exch 5.5

Minimum Outlook Client connection speed Exch 5.5

Post by Clay Hilto » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:50:01

What is the minimum recommended connection speed for using the Outlook
client (2000 or 2002) to connect to an Exchange server over a WAN link?  I
guess I am wanting to know two things -- what Microsoft reccomends and also
what your user experience has taught you on this.  Also if you know of any
good reference articles on tihs subject..

thanks,
Clay

Minimum Outlook Client connection speed Exch 5.5

Post by sysx » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:00:37

Quote:> What is the minimum recommended connection speed for using the Outlook
> client (2000 or 2002) to connect to an Exchange server over a WAN link?  I
> guess I am wanting to know two things -- what Microsoft reccomends and
also
> what your user experience has taught you on this.  Also if you know of any
> good reference articles on tihs subject..

> thanks,
> Clay

Fast.. and faster..

Minimum Outlook Client connection speed Exch 5.5

Post by MVP » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:08:06

This really depends upon so many factors.  When I used to work for an ASP,
our rule of thumb was no less than 512MB for 500 (not heavy) users.  YMMV.

Missy

What is the minimum recommended connection speed for using the Outlook
client (2000 or 2002) to connect to an Exchange server over a WAN link?  I
guess I am wanting to know two things -- what Microsoft reccomends and also
what your user experience has taught you on this.  Also if you know of any
good reference articles on tihs subject..

thanks,
Clay

Minimum Outlook Client connection speed Exch 5.5

Post by Clay Hilto » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:16:19

Thanks Missy -- Just to clarify you recommended a  512k minimum connection
for users running Outlook client?  Also -- you based this on number of users
at the remote site or number of users total on the server (in our case these
numbers are different).

thanks,
Clay

> This really depends upon so many factors.  When I used to work for an ASP,
> our rule of thumb was no less than 512MB for 500 (not heavy) users.  YMMV.

> Missy

> What is the minimum recommended connection speed for using the Outlook
> client (2000 or 2002) to connect to an Exchange server over a WAN link?  I
> guess I am wanting to know two things -- what Microsoft reccomends and
also
> what your user experience has taught you on this.  Also if you know of any
> good reference articles on tihs subject..

> thanks,
> Clay

Minimum Outlook Client connection speed Exch 5.5

Post by MVP » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:05:35

Yes, for the full OL client.

We based this number on the total number of users, with the assumption that
approx. 2/3 would be actually using OL at any one time.

Missy