MTADATA Directory

Post by Nancy Steven » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Exchange 5.5 sp3
I have over 15,000 DAT files in this directory - are all of these necessary?
Will they continue to grow?  TIA

Nancy Stevens

MTADATA Directory

Post by William Lefkovic » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/0/21.ASP

William Lefkovics, MCSE, A+

> Exchange 5.5 sp3
> I have over 15,000 DAT files in this directory - are all of these
necessary?
> Will they continue to grow?  TIA

> Nancy Stevens

MTADATA Directory

Post by Nancy Steven » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Some of the more more then 1 bite though - can these be removed - they are
like 2-3 years old.

> Exchange 5.5 sp3
> I have over 15,000 DAT files in this directory - are all of these
necessary?
> Will they continue to grow?  TIA

> Nancy Stevens

MTADATA Directory

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Some of the more more then 1 bite though - can these be removed - they are
>like 2-3 years old.

1. Stop the MTA. That should eliminate any files that are empty.
2. Run MTACHECK /V /F <logfile>. That should clean up anything that
might be causing a problem.
3. Make a copy of the entire MTADATA directory (just in case).
4. Sort the files by date.
5. Remove any *.DAT files older than two weeks [1] *EXCEPT* the ones
in the range DB000001 - DB0002F.
6. Repeat step 2. If it's okay, restart the MTA. If not, copy the
stuff back into the MTADATA directory from the copy you made!

[1] If your users use "Deferred delivery" when sending messages you
may be removing some real messages.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. MTAData Directory Overflowing

Our Exchange 5.5 SP4 box is filling the disk to near
capacity, full of .dat files in the MTAData directory.
Most all of the messages sitting in there are spams sent
to non-existent mailboxes at our domain.  As I understand
it, Exchange 5.5 is not fully RFC compliant, in that it
will accept email for a domain without first checking for

undeliverable when it realizes there is no mailbox
configured for that user.  It appears now that the server
is letting these messages sit queued up waiting for
delivery to a box which never happens, not trying to
bounce them, so the MTAData directory just fills until the
disk has no more space.

Any ideas what might be wrong, or is there any way to
force the server to perform a valid-recipient check before
accepting mail?  Spam is collecting in this directory at
the rate of several gigs per week, so it's a very serious
problem for us.

TIA

2. Native Mode?

3. old files in the mtadata directory

4. write a client interface of Exchange 5.5

5. mtadata directory

6. Auto Unzip

7. *.dat files in MTAData directory

8. Pub.edb - size is 300 MB but only 2 MB of data in it?

9. Messages in mtadata directory

10. Dat files in MTAdata directory

11. My mtadata directory is eaten up. (Reposted)

12. Multiple DAT files in MTAdata Directory

13. MTA Service and Corrupt .dat files in MTADATA directory