We have some users who are experiencing a delay with Outlook. It can be very
slow and appears to hang when checking names in the global address book.
We have tried applying service pack 6 to the individual machines as well as
upgrading from Outlook 98 to Outlook 2000.
Original configuration was 1 server (A) for all our users. 5.5 w/sp3.
We set up a new primary site (A1) and moved all the mailboxes to the new
site. We then rebuilt the first primary server (A) and made it a secondary
server (A2) in the new site we created. We have apx. 160 total users. We
moved apx. 75 of the users mailboxes to the 2nd server and then relocated in
a different building. Connection is VPN via DSL.
Both servers are running NT 4.0 with SP6 and Exchange version 5.5 with SP3.
We have some users who are also experiencing this problem who didn't have
their mailbox moved to the 2nd server.