Multiple users checking 1 mailbox

Post by Yiannos Venieri » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:08:56

Hi All,

I am running an exchange 5.5 and I have the following question:

How can a user's mailbox be checked (and his/her mail retrieved) form
another NT user. This is needed in the case where a manager wants his
secretary to check his email. The manager has a mailbox on the server but
the sec does not. Moreover, we do not want to start opening mail accounts to
everyone as there is a company policy as to who will use email. The
manager's mailbox has his NT account as Primary and he might want to check
his mail too.

Pls. note that I am using NTLM authentication and hence, the PC's logon
credentials are sent to the exchange for authentication and the client's
"username" and "Password" fields cannot be used.

TIA

Yiannos Venieris

Multiple users checking 1 mailbox

Post by Yiannos Venieri » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:38:29

In my message below I forgot to mention that the solution must apply to
Internet Mail Only clients such as OL2k, OL98 and OLExpress. I just found
how to do it on Corporate-Workgroup Clients but since I have many users on
Slow WAN links with the exchange server, I cannot give them CW as it would
take ages for them to open, chk mail and close.

Thanks Again

Yiannos

Quote:> Hi All,

> I am running an exchange 5.5 and I have the following question:

> How can a user's mailbox be checked (and his/her mail retrieved) form
> another NT user. This is needed in the case where a manager wants his
> secretary to check his email. The manager has a mailbox on the server but
> the sec does not. Moreover, we do not want to start opening mail accounts
> everyone as there is a company policy as to who will use email. The
> manager's mailbox has his NT account as Primary and he might want to check
> his mail too.

> Pls. note that I am using NTLM authentication and hence, the PC's logon
> credentials are sent to the exchange for authentication and the client's
> "username" and "Password" fields cannot be used.

> TIA

> Yiannos Venieris

Multiple users checking 1 mailbox

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:57:50

Mailbox properties/Permissions tab.
If you do not see Permissions tab navigate to Exch admin
prog/Tools/Options/Permissions and check "Show Permissions ...".

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

Multiple users checking 1 mailbox

Post by Yiannos Venieri » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:57:51

Kirill,

thanks for your answer. I found this info already in the MS knowledge base.
Problem is, a client in IMO config cannot select which mailbox to open if
NTLM is in use. The mailbox opened is the one that has as its primary NT
acct. the account used in the PC during login. So the question is: how can a
user check another mailbox (provided he is permitted as you describe in your
reply) if he has an IMO installation of Outlook and Secure Password
Authentication selected.

Thanks Again

Yiannos

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:02:04

> Kirill,

> thanks for your answer. I found this info already in the MS knowledge base.
> Problem is, a client in IMO config cannot select which mailbox to open if
> NTLM is in use. The mailbox opened is the one that has as its primary NT
> acct. the account used in the PC during login.

And what if several mailboxes have that account as Primary?

Quote:> So the question is: how can a
> user check another mailbox (provided he is permitted as you describe in your
> reply) if he has an IMO installation of Outlook and Secure Password
> Authentication selected.

There is one fundamental problem - IMO means POP3, which means NO advanced
features of Exchange/Outlook. Create second mail profile for second mailbox and
instruct user to switch between profiles to "check" second (3rd, 4th etc)
mailbox.

Or use OL in Corp/WG mode with offline folders.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

1. multiple users checking one mail account

I am trying to setup our server so multiple users can check the schedules
for our four conference rooms.  If I make a user the owner of the accounts,
they can add those mailboxes through outlook. (and they then have five
mailboxes including their own)  I need for several people to have access.
How can I do that?

Thanks,
Dave

2. URGENTE - SICUREZZA!!!

3. Checking Multiple Mailboxes

4. mailbox for misspelt mail addresses

5. Checking multiple mailboxes

6. Outlook Express Address Book In Outlook 98

7. Check multiple mailboxes?

8. rule -> public folder

9. Checking Multiple Mailboxes at ISP

10. problems checking multiple mailboxes

11. Checking multiple mailboxes

12. Check multiple mailboxes