Renaming Exchange v4 Server Windows NT Machine Name

Renaming Exchange v4 Server Windows NT Machine Name

Post by Duncan Hawe » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know what damage this will do or if it's possible ?

Renaming Exchange v4 Server Windows NT Machine Name

Post by D. Sengupt » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I don't think your directory service will be able to start.  I doubt it's
possible.

--
D. Sengupta, MCP
Sengupta at freenet dot carleton dot ca

Quote:> Does anyone know what damage this will do or if it's possible ?

Post by Jim Seymou » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know what damage this will do or if it's possible ?

I made an offline backup of my Exchange v5 database over Thanksgiving, then
reinstalled the entire server and all software using a new computer and
domain name.  I've been trying to retrieve the old database ever since -
with no luck.

In my case, it's not vital - I only have two users that stored their
messages in Exchange and neither of them are clamoring for their old e-mail
messages  Still, I'm very disappointed that there are no simple utilities to
extract old messages/contacts/etc. from Exchange v5 (let alone v4).

1. Rename Exchange Server Name (along with Machine name) after installation

Hi all;
Is it possible to install Exchange 5.5 SP3 on a member server ( or BDC)
named "SERVER_A" and then later change the server name (and Exchange server
name) to "SERVER_B" ? The reason is that I'm setting aother server to be
added to the domain as a production server and would like to use it as a
backup Exchange server when needed. In case the existing Exchange server
machine crashed, I would like to be able to rename this server and dump the
backup tape and bring up Exchange services in a short period of time.
I can state the same Organization and Site name, but not server name during
the installation of Exchange. Is there any way to work around this?
Thanks
Bill

2. UCE and SPAM Prevention.....Recomendations?

3. Disclaimer in Exchange 2000?

4. Rename Windows Nt 4.0 Domain Exchange server 5.5

5. OWA w/Netscape

6. Only the domain name for the email server instead of machine name .domain name/exchange

7. Deleting Inbox Message using Outlook 2002 on Exchange 2000 SP3

8. Can I setup Exchange server v5.0 RC1 on BDC of NT Server V4.0

9. Renaming org, site AND machine name

10. Renaming Machine Name

11. Migrating 5.5 exchange server Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

12. Renaming the NT Server of an Exchange Server 5.5