need to give access to public folders but do not want to use anonymous access

need to give access to public folders but do not want to use anonymous access

Post by Andr » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:47:56

I would like to give our client temporary access to a public folder to
access some docs.  I don't want to use anonymous login for obvious
reasons, but also do not want to give access to email or the company
GAL.  Is there a way to give access to a public folder using some kind
of authentication, without giving them access to typical mailbox
features?  any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

ak

need to give access to public folders but do not want to use anonymous access

Post by AI » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:10:52

Hello,

To view the contents of the public folder, the anonymous account must have
at least a role of Reviewer.
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q175256).

Regards,
Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

Quote:> I would like to give our client temporary access to a public folder to

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:51:43

>I would like to give our client temporary access to a public folder to
>access some docs.  I don't want to use anonymous login for obvious
>reasons, but also do not want to give access to email or the company
>GAL.  Is there a way to give access to a public folder using some kind
>of authentication, without giving them access to typical mailbox
>features?  any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Publish the folder as a NNTP NewsGroup and have the client use a news
reader (Agent, Outlook Expresss, Gravity, etc.) to access the
information. You should be pretty safe offering anonymous access if
you restrict that access to the "Reviewer" role.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

need to give access to public folders but do not want to use anonymous access

Post by Andr » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:44:54

yes, i understand that.  but as I said below, I do not want to use
anonymous login.  I want to give the user an actual login and password
but no mailbox capabilities, just public folders.  is this possible?

> Hello,

> To view the contents of the public folder, the anonymous account must have
> at least a role of Reviewer.
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q175256).

> Regards,
> Intermedia.NET (AI)
> Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
> Providing expertise in hosting applications
> MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
> Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
> For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> > I would like to give our client temporary access to a public folder to
> > access some docs.  I don't want to use anonymous login for obvious
> > reasons, but also do not want to give access to email or the company
> > GAL.  Is there a way to give access to a public folder using some kind
> > of authentication, without giving them access to typical mailbox
> > features?  any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

> > ak

1. Accessing an Appointment Public Folder using Outlook Web access

I have created an Appointment Public folder (Calendar) for one of our
departments. However, when someone tries to access this folder using OWA,
the person only gets their personal Calendar.  When they use any of the
outlook clients (98,2000), they can access the folder without any problem.

I am currently using Exchange 5.5/SP3, any help with be greatly appreciated.

Barrymore Warren
Mercy College

2. Great Outlook Anti-Virus Idea...But How Do I Do It?

3. Accessing Public Folder using Web Access...

4. Multiple Domains on Exchange 5.x ?

5. Can't post to public folders Using Netscape Collabra 4.05 ( NNTP access to public folders )

6. Invalid Code Page 50000

7. Information store statistics

8. Can't post to public folders Using Netscape Messenger ( NNTP access to public folders )

9. CDO problem: anonymous access to public folder running ASP from Netscape users

10. Anonymous access for Public Folders