exchange 5.5 default response

Post by Jerry Dubuk » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:48:10

Hi all,
we are changing our domain name, and I would like to have a default response
to any email that comes in telling the user that the email address is
changing.  I would also like the msg to be forwarded to the new address.
Is this possible in Exchange 5.5?  I am fairly proficient in programming if
that is what it takes, if I must go that route...
Can anyone point me in the right direction??
Jerry

exchange 5.5 default response

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:56:39

Not possible out of the box, and also not necessary. Just add the additional
domain, make it the default for all mailboxes even as they keep the old
addresses, and wean senders off the old addresses over time.

> Hi all,
> we are changing our domain name, and I would like to have a default
> response to any email that comes in telling the user that the email
> address is changing.  I would also like the msg to be forwarded to
> the new address. Is this possible in Exchange 5.5?  I am fairly
> proficient in programming if that is what it takes, if I must go that
> route... Can anyone point me in the right direction??
> Jerry

exchange 5.5 default response

Post by Jerry » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:38:39

well, that *would* work, but the other domain is going to be housed/hosted
by a totally different site...so I wanted to bring this site down
gracefully over time.

So, not possible out of box is OK, could you point me to a non-out-of-box
solution or reading materials?

Jerry

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

| Not possible out of the box, and also not necessary. Just add the
additional
| domain, make it the default for all mailboxes even as they keep the old
| addresses, and wean senders off the old addresses over time.
|

| > Hi all,
| > we are changing our domain name, and I would like to have a default
| > response to any email that comes in telling the user that the email
| > address is changing.  I would also like the msg to be forwarded to
| > the new address. Is this possible in Exchange 5.5?  I am fairly
| > proficient in programming if that is what it takes, if I must go that
| > route... Can anyone point me in the right direction??
| > Jerry

exchange 5.5 default response

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:08:27

Don't know of one, sorry.

> well, that *would* work, but the other domain is going to be
> housed/hosted by a totally different site...so I wanted to bring this
> site down gracefully over time.

> So, not possible out of box is OK, could you point me to a
> non-out-of-box solution or reading materials?

> Jerry

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>> Not possible out of the box, and also not necessary. Just add the
>> additional domain, make it the default for all mailboxes even as
>> they keep the old addresses, and wean senders off the old addresses
>> over time.

>>> Hi all,
>>> we are changing our domain name, and I would like to have a default
>>> response to any email that comes in telling the user that the email
>>> address is changing.  I would also like the msg to be forwarded to
>>> the new address. Is this possible in Exchange 5.5?  I am fairly
>>> proficient in programming if that is what it takes, if I must go
>>> that route... Can anyone point me in the right direction??
>>> Jerry

exchange 5.5 default response

Post by John Francis Burk » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:58:20

Try NEMX Power Tools.... :-)

(check with the manufacturer first that it meets the exact requirements)

John.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> Don't know of one, sorry.

> > well, that *would* work, but the other domain is going to be
> > housed/hosted by a totally different site...so I wanted to bring this
> > site down gracefully over time.

> > So, not possible out of box is OK, could you point me to a
> > non-out-of-box solution or reading materials?

> > Jerry

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> >> Not possible out of the box, and also not necessary. Just add the
> >> additional domain, make it the default for all mailboxes even as
> >> they keep the old addresses, and wean senders off the old addresses
> >> over time.

exchange 5.5 default response

Post by Spive » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:47:36

I'm thinking about doing the same thing.  Here's what I came up with:

Set up a small exchange server.  This will be your autoreplier.  Make sure
you change your MX record.

On the original exchange server accept mail for both domains, making the new
domain the primary address.  For the old domain forward all mail from to the
new small server.

The new server will have mailboxes for every user with an old address.  In
all the mailboxes will be a cdo script for auto reply.  CDO Live has an
autoreply posted on their web site.  It won't be that difficult to add a
forwarding functionality.

In 2000 you would just set up a new virtual smtp server & use event sinks to
autoreply.

Quote:> Hi all,
> we are changing our domain name, and I would like to have a default
response
> to any email that comes in telling the user that the email address is
> changing.  I would also like the msg to be forwarded to the new address.
> Is this possible in Exchange 5.5?  I am fairly proficient in programming
if
> that is what it takes, if I must go that route...
> Can anyone point me in the right direction??
> Jerry

exchange 5.5 default response

Post by Spive » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:56

Correction-
If you change your mx record there is no need to accept and forward mail for
the old domain on the first server.

> I'm thinking about doing the same thing.  Here's what I came up with:

> Set up a small exchange server.  This will be your autoreplier.  Make sure
> you change your MX record.

> On the original exchange server accept mail for both domains, making the
new
> domain the primary address.  For the old domain forward all mail from to
the
> new small server.

> The new server will have mailboxes for every user with an old address.  In
> all the mailboxes will be a cdo script for auto reply.  CDO Live has an
> autoreply posted on their web site.  It won't be that difficult to add a
> forwarding functionality.

> In 2000 you would just set up a new virtual smtp server & use event sinks
> autoreply.

> > Hi all,
> > we are changing our domain name, and I would like to have a default
> response
> > to any email that comes in telling the user that the email address is
> > changing.  I would also like the msg to be forwarded to the new address.
> > Is this possible in Exchange 5.5?  I am fairly proficient in programming
> if
> > that is what it takes, if I must go that route...
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction??
> > Jerry

1. Exchange HELO / EHLO Default Response

When my Exchange server sends an email, it passes:

HELO servername.domain_name
or
EHLO servername.domain_name

Where domain_name is actually our internal NT domain name, and servername is
the exchange server's NT name.  Can we customize this?  We don't want our
internal naming scheme being advertised to the world, and the fact that our
NT domain has an underscore (_) in it causes problems sending to some mail
servers...

Thanks for your help.

2. Full Outlook connectivity through Raptor firewall

3. Badmail auto response - how to change the default message

4. Global Address list

5. Non-Delivery Response Format in Exchange 5.5

6. Change the default message for exceeding space limits?

7. Slowly Response to access Public Folder in Exchange 5.5

8. Copying 5.5 public folders to 2k

9. Automatic processing of meeting responses in Outlook 2K with Exchange Server 5.5

10. Exchange Server 5.5 response slowly

11. Slow client response to Exchange 5.5

12. mailbox Auto Response from the Exchange Server 5.5

13. Undeliverable Response Email (5.5)