5.5 SP1 message journalling confirmations please

5.5 SP1 message journalling confirmations please

Post by Stuart Nutta » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Dear all,

I'm desperate for some help with this - my boss says he wants a resolution
by this evening!  HELP!

My company needs to copy all external incoming and outgoing messages to a
folder somewhere on our Exchange server, probably a public folder called
Duplicates.  We've gone through the SP1 notes and set up the message
journalling.  I would like to clarify a few points that I think I *may* have
misinterpretted...

1) when you turn the message duplication (i.e. journalling) on, only copies
of outgoing messages are duplicated; incoming is ignored;

2) mail sent to internal distribution lists is copied as well;

3) the only way to turn external incoming message duplication on is by using
the LocalDelivery flag, which turns all internal message duplication on as
well.

If I'm wrong on any of these points, I'd love to hear from you (hopefully
including a solution on how the rectify the problem!)

MTIA,

Stuart Nuttall

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>My company needs to copy all external incoming and outgoing messages to a
>folder somewhere on our Exchange server, probably a public folder called
>Duplicates.  We've gone through the SP1 notes and set up the message
>journalling.  I would like to clarify a few points that I think I *may* have
>misinterpretted...

>1) when you turn the message duplication (i.e. journalling) on, only copies
>of outgoing messages are duplicated; incoming is ignored;

Then you haven't done it right.

Quote:>2) mail sent to internal distribution lists is copied as well;

Yup.

Quote:>3) the only way to turn external incoming message duplication on is by using
>the LocalDelivery flag, which turns all internal message duplication on as
>well.

Message Journaling is handled by the MTA. If the IS can deliver the
message without the MTA the message won't be journalized.

Quote:>If I'm wrong on any of these points, I'd love to hear from you (hopefully
>including a solution on how the rectify the problem!)

The only problem I see is that you probably haven't disabled the local
delivery. This allows the IS to store the messages without involving
the MTA (which is the entity that's responsible for journalizing the
messages).

5.5 SP1 message journalling confirmations please

Post by Pim » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>1) when you turn the message duplication (i.e. journalling) on, only copies
>of outgoing messages are duplicated; incoming is ignored;

What outgoing and incoming represent is dependent on the level at which you
setup journalling (organization, site of server).

By the way, make sure you allow all users to Create Items in you Duplicate
folder since these Items are created by the sender !

Pim

5.5 SP1 message journalling confirmations please

Post by nestore guizzo » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

umm....hey, had a look at imcdata directory?????

> Dear all,

> I'm desperate for some help with this - my boss says he wants a
resolution
> by this evening!  HELP!

> My company needs to copy all external incoming and outgoing messages to a
> folder somewhere on our Exchange server, probably a public folder called
> Duplicates.  We've gone through the SP1 notes and set up the message
> journalling.  I would like to clarify a few points that I think I *may*
have
> misinterpretted...

> 1) when you turn the message duplication (i.e. journalling) on, only
copies
> of outgoing messages are duplicated; incoming is ignored;

> 2) mail sent to internal distribution lists is copied as well;

> 3) the only way to turn external incoming message duplication on is by
using
> the LocalDelivery flag, which turns all internal message duplication on
as
> well.

> If I'm wrong on any of these points, I'd love to hear from you (hopefully
> including a solution on how the rectify the problem!)

> MTIA,

> Stuart Nuttall

1. 5.5 SP1 message journalling confirmations please

[...]

2. Missing folders......

3. Public folders and Macintosh clients

4. Message Journalling

5. Outlook permissoins

6. MEssage journalling

7. faled mail on exchange 2000

8. Message journalling with 2 domains

9. Message Journalling

10. Exchange 5.5 SP1 Failures PLEASE HELP

11. message journalling registry entries

12. 5.5 SP1 : OWA doesn't give the right URL for messages and contacts