Incoming Mail Problems

Post by Richard Shortlan » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:57:28

I posted a little while a go about a problem I have been having with
incoming mail.

Thie gst of it is that some of our students have signed themselves up a chat
group that uses email.  I have blocked the site but we are getting 40 - 50
emails a day and I need to block these as well.  The problem is that I
cannot block the domain that the mail comes from as they are sent from
indviduals to a mailing list which forwards the mail to all the people on

senders individually however I now have a list of abut 85 different senders
and that list is growing daily.  What I want to do is block the

to the students.

Has anyone got any new ideas on how to deal with this? By the way  I am
running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT4 SP6a and Outlook 2000.

Incoming Mail Problems

Post by AI » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:54:59

Hello,

IMS - Connection tab - Message Filtering.

Please review "XADM: How to Prevent Everyone in an Organization from Sending
SMTP Mail to a Specific Target Address" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q250521.

Regards,
Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> I posted a little while a go about a problem I have been having with
> incoming mail.

> Thie gst of it is that some of our students have signed themselves up a
chat
> group that uses email.  I have blocked the site but we are getting 40 - 50
> emails a day and I need to block these as well.  The problem is that I
> cannot block the domain that the mail comes from as they are sent from
> indviduals to a mailing list which forwards the mail to all the people on

> senders individually however I now have a list of abut 85 different
senders
> and that list is growing daily.  What I want to do is block the

through
> to the students.

> Has anyone got any new ideas on how to deal with this? By the way  I am
> running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT4 SP6a and Outlook 2000.

Incoming Mail Problems

Post by Richard Shortlan » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:25:00

Yes I have and the mail still gets through.  The address

list as the it appears as the to address in the email.

Richard shortland
Networkwork Administrator
Castle Community School

> Hello,

> IMS - Connection tab - Message Filtering.

> Please review "XADM: How to Prevent Everyone in an Organization from
Sending
> SMTP Mail to a Specific Target Address" at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q250521.

> Regards,
> Intermedia.NET (AI)
> Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
> Providing expertise in hosting applications
> MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
> Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
> For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> > I posted a little while a go about a problem I have been having with
> > incoming mail.

> > Thie gst of it is that some of our students have signed themselves up a
> chat
> > group that uses email.  I have blocked the site but we are getting 40 -
50
> > emails a day and I need to block these as well.  The problem is that I
> > cannot block the domain that the mail comes from as they are sent from
> > indviduals to a mailing list which forwards the mail to all the people
on

example

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:00:39

>Yes I have and the mail still gets through.

Did you restart the IMS after making the change?

>The address

>list as the it appears as the to address in the email.

You can't block messages based on the contents of the RFC822 headers.
You need the information in the RFC821 "MAIL FROM:" command. You can
get that information by enabling SMTP protocol logging n the IMS
"Diagnostics Logging" tab and restarting the IMS service.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Incoming Mail Problems

Post by Richard Shortlan » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:30:16

Yes I did.

> >Yes I have and the mail still gets through.

> Did you restart the IMS after making the change?

> >The address

> >list as the it appears as the to address in the email.

> You can't block messages based on the contents of the RFC822 headers.
> You need the information in the RFC821 "MAIL FROM:" command. You can
> get that information by enabling SMTP protocol logging n the IMS
> "Diagnostics Logging" tab and restarting the IMS service.

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Incoming Mail Problems

Post by Richard Shortlan » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:04:26

Thanks for the advice.  I started SMTP logging and after 5 minutes I found
the correct address and have changed the filtering accordingly.

Richard Shortland

> >Yes I have and the mail still gets through.

> Did you restart the IMS after making the change?

> >The address

> >list as the it appears as the to address in the email.

> You can't block messages based on the contents of the RFC822 headers.
> You need the information in the RFC821 "MAIL FROM:" command. You can
> get that information by enabling SMTP protocol logging n the IMS
> "Diagnostics Logging" tab and restarting the IMS service.

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. incoming mail problem

We have built a windows 2000 Exchange server using POPcon (by
Christensen-software)to retrieve POP3 email from the ISP. The problem
occurs when we retrieve mail from the ISP, mail appears to be forwarded

We have set up a domain called companyname.co.uk with a prewindows 2000
domain of companyname.

A non-delivery is returned to all senders whilst some receipients
receive the mail and others don't.

Can anyone please advise why companyname.co.uk is appearing before the
username.

Mark

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. OWA problem

3. Incoming mail problem

4. Remore access

5. CONFUSION ABOUT VARIOUS ADDRESS BOOKS/CONTACTS/GLOBAL ADDRESS LISTS, ETC.

6. Remote site incoming mail problem

7. exchange DNS and MX record question

8. Incoming mail problem

9. incoming mail problem