SMTP With AD

Post by Kama » Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:44:16

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how to configure the SMTP server on Exchange 2000 to
Check if the User exists before accepting inbound Mails ?

By default the SMTP server accepts mails to all users and tries to deliver
to the respective mailbox. if the mailbox does not exist
the smtp server returns the Postmaster mail to the sender. Instead i want
the SMTP server should only accept mails if the User on the domain exists.

Regards,
Kamal

SMTP With AD

Post by Niclas Holmkvist [MSFT » Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:28:48

Hi Kamal,

Please read http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289521

--

Niclas Holmkvist
Microsoft Exchange Support

Quote:> Hi All,

> Can anyone tell me how to configure the SMTP server on Exchange 2000 to
> Check if the User exists before accepting inbound Mails ?

> By default the SMTP server accepts mails to all users and tries to deliver
> to the respective mailbox. if the mailbox does not exist
> the smtp server returns the Postmaster mail to the sender. Instead i want
> the SMTP server should only accept mails if the User on the domain exists.

> Regards,
> Kamal

SMTP With AD

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 06 Nov 2003 05:00:07

>Can anyone tell me how to configure the SMTP server on Exchange 2000 to
>Check if the User exists before accepting inbound Mails ?

You cannot. However you can add a piece of software to the server:
Open Relay Filter (http://www.vamsoft.com/orf).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP