Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?

Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?

Post by Erik Amalikse » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Situation:

I have multiple domains pointing to my Exchange server.  I want everyone on
the site to have email addresses for each domain.  I have been told that an
easy way to do this is to perform a directory export, and add the field
"Secondary-Proxy-Addresses" field using Excel.  But it seems like I would
still need to type in every SMTP address in this new field for every user.
This is not much better than just adding them via "add new" e-mail address
in Exchange Admin.  How do I tell the exchange server to give all users the

address just like it did when I imported my MSMail users.

Thank you for your time.

--
Regards
Erik Amaliksen

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Situation:

>I have multiple domains pointing to my Exchange server.  I want everyone on
>the site to have email addresses for each domain.  I have been told that an
>easy way to do this is to perform a directory export, and add the field
>"Secondary-Proxy-Addresses" field using Excel.  But it seems like I would
>still need to type in every SMTP address in this new field for every user.
>This is not much better than just adding them via "add new" e-mail address
>in Exchange Admin.  How do I tell the exchange server to give all users the

>address just like it did when I imported my MSMail users.

You don't. The Exchange admin program will add only the primary SMTP
proxy address to the mailbox's E-Mail Addresses data. Any additional
proxies must be added by using the methods you've already noted.

But it isn't necessary to enter the data by hand. You can create a
macro to build the additional addresses.

Alternatively, you could arrange the "Routing" tab on the IMS to
forward the mail from the other e-mail domains to the address you used
in the Site Addressing object's "Site Addressing" tab. This approach
will work provided the MX records all point to your Exchange server
and not to another mail exchanger.

If you use this technique the IMS will rewrite the contents of the
RFC821 "RCTP TO:" data. The RFC822 information will remain untouched.
The mail will be delivered to the original mailbox name at the new
e-mail domain.

Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?

Post by Erik Amalikse » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the speedy response.  I have tried to reroute any <altdomain.com>
to <myprimarydomain.com> using the routing option and I get the following
error:

The following recipients did not receive the attached mail. Reasons are
listed with each recipient:

MSEXCH:IMS:<Sitename>:<Site>:<ServerName> 0 (001202AA) Too Many Hops

Any ideas?

And if this works, how can users "send as" using one of the secondary domain
addresses?

Thanks Again

Regards
Erik Amaliksen
Network Administrator
http://www.dynastar.com

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Thanks for the speedy response.  I have tried to reroute any <altdomain.com>
>to <myprimarydomain.com> using the routing option and I get the following
>error:

>The following recipients did not receive the attached mail. Reasons are
>listed with each recipient:

>MSEXCH:IMS:<Sitename>:<Site>:<ServerName> 0 (001202AA) Too Many Hops

>Any ideas?

Yes. Check your MX records. It sounds as if your <myprimarydomain.com>
either isn't routed as <inbound> on the IMS "Routing" tab or the MX
record for that domain points to another server that's rewriting the
"RCPT TO:" data also (perhaps back to <altdomain.com>).

The error indicates that there've been at least 18 trips between mail
servers. The message's RFC822 "Received:" headers should tell you
what's happening.

Quote:>And if this works, how can users "send as" using one of the secondary domain
>addresses?

They cannot.

Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?

Post by erik amalikse » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

So to paraphrase....  If all my users have an SMTP address

table set to <Inbound> you are saying that the IMS will automatically

this adderss in the users e-mail address list?

Regards

Erik Amaliksen
Network Administrator
Dynastar, Lange, Look, Kerma
http://www.dynastar.com

--

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>So to paraphrase....  If all my users have an SMTP address

>table set to <Inbound> you are saying that the IMS will automatically

>this adderss in the users e-mail address list?

No. If you have the routing table configured as you state then you
each recipient that expects to receive mail addressed to

If you configure the routing table to forward all mail for
<SecondaryDomain.com> to <PrimaryDomain.com> then each recipient needs

If you choose this approach be careful not to mistakenly set up a mail
loop. Examine your MX records and understand the path your mail takes
to arrive at your Exchange server.

Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?

Post by Rosevear, Christophe » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Here's a scenario to consider and critique:

The main domain is called main.com and represents a site in an Exchange
5.5 organisation, connected to an ISP. Users in this site are

In a subsidiary further away, there is another Exchange site called
sub1.main.com. This site has a direct connection to the ISP which can

has taken place, Exchange should know that anything directed to

algorithms, which could bounce it back to the ISP with the

What changes if any have to be made to the hosts files to ensure this?

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

Posted At: Friday, February 06, 1998 2:05 PM
Posted To: admin
Conversation: Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?
Subject: Re: Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?

>So to paraphrase....  If all my users have an SMTP address

>table set to <Inbound> you are saying that the IMS will automatically

up

Post by Rich Matheis » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>The main domain is called main.com and represents a site in an Exchange
>5.5 organisation, connected to an ISP. Users in this site are

>In a subsidiary further away, there is another Exchange site called
>sub1.main.com. This site has a direct connection to the ISP which can

>has taken place, Exchange should know that anything directed to

>algorithms, which could bounce it back to the ISP with the

>What changes if any have to be made to the hosts files to ensure this?
>>Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

How are the two Exchange sites connected? With an IMS connector only?

Cost is just one of many criteria the MTA applies to the decision
making process of routing. It's actually either the last or
next-to-last decision in the "selection" phase. The "routing" phase,
where the connectors that are capable of handling the message are
chosen, is much more important.

There probably shouldn't be any change to the Exchange server.
Richard Matheisen                             Wang Laboratories
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

1. Multiple Domain: Batch addition of addresses?

Situation:

I have multiple domains pointing to my Exchange server.  I want everyone on
the site to have email addresses for each domain.  I have been told that an
easy way to do this is to perform a directory export, and add the field
"Secondary-Proxy-Addresses" field using Excel.  But it seems like I would
still need to type in every SMTP address in this new field for every user.
This is not much better than just adding them via "add new" e-mail address
in Exchange Admin.  How do I tell the exchange server to give all users the

address just like it did when I imported my MSMail users.

Thank you for your time.

--
Regards
Erik Amaliksen
Network Administrator
http://www.dynastar.com

2. Public folder shows up two times on client

3. Batch additions/changes of SMTP email addresses

4. Resource Scheduling

5. Multiple STMP domains: use domain that received email as the reply-to address

6. Changing Display Names (without export/import)

7. Addition of new directory to Native Mode domain

8. OWA 5.5 and imported mailboxes????

9. HOWTO:Disable addition of default domain?

10. Global Addition to New Domain

11. OWA Server stops working when addition IIS Server is added to the domain

12. multiple domain box, multiple domain mail?

13. Multiple Domains/ Multiple domain mailboxes?