Changing site service account

Post by Andrew Laurenc » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

I recently migrated my company's Exchange 5.5 server to a more robust
hardware platform. Meanwhile, we're migrating from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows
2000, and changing domain names. The new Exchange server runs Win2K and
belongs to a domain we'll call NEWDOMAIN. The old Exchange server, which is
no longer on the network, runs NT 4.0 and was a BDC in a domain we'll call
OLDDOMAIN.

At the time I did the migration, I did not realize how difficult (perhaps
impossible) it was to change the Exchange site services account, so I used
the same account that had been used for the old server. The problem is that
this account is in OLDDOMAIN, and OLDDOMAIN is going to be phased out.

Is there any way to change the site services account so that I can use an
account in NEWDOMAIN? I already have a suitable account set up and assigned
the appropriate permissions. Will I have to reinstall Exchange? If so, can I
do an in-place reinstall and just copy over the EXCHSRVR directories? Or
will I have to build a new server, set it up properly, and migrate all
accounts and functionality to it before bringing down the current server? I
am running Exchange 5.5 SP3.

Any help or insight on this matter would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew Laurence

Changing site service account

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

See FAQ

> I recently migrated my company's Exchange 5.5 server to a more robust
> hardware platform. Meanwhile, we're migrating from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows
> 2000, and changing domain names. The new Exchange server runs Win2K and
> belongs to a domain we'll call NEWDOMAIN. The old Exchange server, which is
> no longer on the network, runs NT 4.0 and was a BDC in a domain we'll call
> OLDDOMAIN.

> At the time I did the migration, I did not realize how difficult (perhaps
> impossible) it was to change the Exchange site services account, so I used
> the same account that had been used for the old server. The problem is that
> this account is in OLDDOMAIN, and OLDDOMAIN is going to be phased out.

> Is there any way to change the site services account so that I can use an
> account in NEWDOMAIN? I already have a suitable account set up and assigned
> the appropriate permissions. Will I have to reinstall Exchange? If so, can I
> do an in-place reinstall and just copy over the EXCHSRVR directories? Or
> will I have to build a new server, set it up properly, and migrate all
> accounts and functionality to it before bringing down the current server? I
> am running Exchange 5.5 SP3.

> Any help or insight on this matter would be most appreciated. Thanks!

> Andrew Laurence

group).

Kirill