Global Address Help...

Post by Jason Yusk » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Under the recipients folder in Exchange 5.5 I have my companies staff
listed.  I need to add committee members to a separate list that all the
staff could access.  To resolve this I created a committees container under
the recipients container.  I can add in all the addresses I want to the
committees folder.  What happens is when I go to the client's address book,
it has the separate committees list (like I wanted) but also added all the
committee's members to the global address list.  I tried to hide the members
but that hid the address from the committees folder as well.

Does anyone know of a better way to setup what I'm doing or a way to hide
the committee members on just the global address list?

Thanks, Jason

Global Address Help...

Post by Suresh Babu Kandot » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

You can make use of Address Book Views .
Address Book views is a feature that allows administrators to control which
entries users are allowed to see in the global address book. This feature
also allows users to sort their views of the Address Book by mailbox
attribute, depending on the permissions they have been granted by the
administrator. Address Book views are grouped into containers that contain
recipients with common attributes.
When you create an Address Book view, you can group mailboxes by any four
of eight standard attributes and ten custom defined attributes.
Subcontainers are created that correspond to the four groupings. In
addition, you, as an administrator, can assign search roles to the view.
The search role limits who has access to an address book view. Thus, you
can limit users search capabilities to only those containers for which
they have permissions.
Clients not on a local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) who
are working offline will see a different view. They will view the offline
Address Book. If Address Book views for the offline Address Book  are put
in place before the first synchronization of the offline Address Book , the
offline user is presented with a choice of address book views to download,
depending on their permissions. However, if the client who is working
offline has downloaded a full copy of the offline Address Book  before the
address views have been implemented, that client will always be able to see
the full membership of the offline Address Book . If you subsequently limit
that clients access by using address book views, the client will still be
able to view all the members of the Address Book that were replicated to
the offline Address Book .
Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) clients can access Microsoft
Exchange Server Address Books, and the same permissions and views apply as
for Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) clients.

--
Greetings & Wishes

Suresh Babu Kandoth

ADITI Corp
www.aditi.com

Global Address Help...

Post by bone » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Try creating address book views:
This is much better then creating containers

Address Book views are virtual containers that allow an administrator to
group recipient objects together logically based on common directory
attributes. By grouping recipients together in views, an administrator can
sort his/her recipient lists in a much more task or function oriented way.

For example, in a directory with 15,000 entries, an administrator needs to
scroll to a particular recipient or use the Find feature to modify or obtain
any information. While there are tools to do this easily, having users
grouped specifically by job functions allows the administrator to locate the
entry in a more business-method context. Views do not provide filtering,
only groupings of users.

Address Book views are created by the Administration program using the
Address Book Views option under the File: New Other Menu.

The administrator can create a directory and display name for the Address
Book view. The administrator can also control how the address view is
grouped based on attributes assigned to the mailbox user, i.e., City, State,
Site, or custom attributes

>Under the recipients folder in Exchange 5.5 I have my companies staff
>listed.  I need to add committee members to a separate list that all the
>staff could access.  To resolve this I created a committees container under
>the recipients container.  I can add in all the addresses I want to the
>committees folder.  What happens is when I go to the client's address book,
>it has the separate committees list (like I wanted) but also added all the
>committee's members to the global address list.  I tried to hide the
members
>but that hid the address from the committees folder as well.

>Does anyone know of a better way to setup what I'm doing or a way to hide
>the committee members on just the global address list?

>Thanks, Jason

1. Global Address Help

Hi everyone.  I have a user, using Outlook 2000, with an Exchange 2000
server.  When trying to send an e-mail to "John Smith", in the global
address list, he types in "smith" in the "to" field.  Outlook skips over the
global "John Smith", and goes striaght to someone with a first name of
"smith" on another contact list.  I have already changed the preference to
check the Global list first, but it only works when typing in the first name
of the recipient (john).  Is there any way I can fix this?  He did not have
this problem with Exchange 5.5.  Thanks!

2. programatically changing email address based on recipeint policy update

3. Global Address HELP needed

4. OWA Exchange5.5 on win2000

5. Global Address List problem, please help!!

6. Addresslist filter, LDAP Query

7. Help! Accessing Global Address List

8. Replicating Exchange 2000.

9. Global Address List problem, please help!!

10. Help Global Address Book is gone

11. Global Address List Permissions removed - HELP!!!

12. please help: global address book

13. Help please - Global Address Lists