Restricting Routing

Post by J » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:16:35

Good afternnon. A question preceeded by some backrground.

My company (xyz.com) runs Exchange 5.5 sp 4. We require SMTP but not
POP3/IMAP4.
On the routing tab for the IMS I have selected to Reroute incoming
SMTP mail and entered xyz.com and <inbound> in the routing area.

I am using a custom routing program (imsext.dll) to enable
OutboundAppended text.

In order to prevent an open relay, I understand I need to enforce
routing restrictions.

The desired result is to have all clients within xyz.com access to
send SMTP mail. Inbound mail should only be allowed to pass through if
the recipient is a member of our local system.

Currently I can telnet to our mail server and RCPT to and address
other than xyz.com.

Can someone assist me with the appropriate routing restrictions?

Thanks

JP

Restricting Routing

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:38:46

Quote:>Good afternnon. A question preceeded by some backrground.

>My company (xyz.com) runs Exchange 5.5 sp 4. We require SMTP but not
>POP3/IMAP4.
>On the routing tab for the IMS I have selected to Reroute incoming
>SMTP mail and entered xyz.com and <inbound> in the routing area.

>I am using a custom routing program (imsext.dll) to enable
>OutboundAppended text.

>In order to prevent an open relay, I understand I need to enforce
>routing restrictions.

>The desired result is to have all clients within xyz.com access to
>send SMTP mail. Inbound mail should only be allowed to pass through if
>the recipient is a member of our local system.

>Currently I can telnet to our mail server and RCPT to and address
>other than xyz.com.

>Can someone assist me with the appropriate routing restrictions?

The links in this article may help:

http://www.mail-resources.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=a...

--
Chris Scharff
The Mail Resource Center http://www.Mail-Resources.com

Free Custom OWA Login Page Wizard:
http://www.messageone.com/m1owa
Exchange FAQs:

1. How to restrict routing

Dear everyone:
    I found that Exchange 2000 does not have the functionality Routing
Restriction like that in Exchange 5.5. Can anyone tell me how to get this
functionality in Exchange 2000.

    Sincerely Yours
    Richard Huang

2. postmaster problems in Exchange

3. Restricting Routing /Relay

4. OWA w/ 55 on win2k srv.

5. Restrict routing SMTP

6. Has anyone seen RAPI Virus in IS.EDB?

7. E-mail SPAM/restricted routing

8. Error when creating a mailbox

9. How do I restrict routing

10. Restricting Routing through Exchange.

11. Restricting external email routing

12. Routing Wizard does not route form changes

13. Routing Object and Routing Map question