exchange message format - html or plain text

exchange message format - html or plain text

Post by Liz Flowe » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

I am having a problem whereby attachments go missing when an email is
received by some external clients.  The same message can be sent by another
person to the same recipient, and it will get through.  Some clients
(Outlook98) have the message format drop-down box set to RTF but dimmed out
so it cannot be changed.  Most have it set to RTF but changeable.

The setting used in Exchange Administrator is Plain Text.  If clients are
nevertheless sending HTML messages, what format does exchange send them in?

I have noticed that attachments are always placed in a separate pane at the
bottom of an HTML email.  When such an HTML email is sent to an internal
client using the RTF setting and forwarded externally, the attachment goes
missing.

What are the guidelines for using HTML, RTF or PLAIN TEXT and should all
clients be using the same setting as each other AND as the server?

Thanks very much for any assistance you can give.
Cheers,
Liz Flower
System Admin

Post by Liz Flowe » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Post by Greg Aske » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

You need HTML enabled on both the IMS and the client to send HTML messages.

I would not send RTF/WordMail outside the organization.  HTML is a standard,
and is more suitable for sending rich text messages with the rest of the world.

Greg Askew

--

> Hi there,

> I am having a problem whereby attachments go missing when an email is
> received by some external clients.  The same message can be sent by another
> person to the same recipient, and it will get through.  Some clients
> (Outlook98) have the message format drop-down box set to RTF but dimmed out
> so it cannot be changed.  Most have it set to RTF but changeable.

> The setting used in Exchange Administrator is Plain Text.  If clients are
> nevertheless sending HTML messages, what format does exchange send them in?

> I have noticed that attachments are always placed in a separate pane at the
> bottom of an HTML email.  When such an HTML email is sent to an internal
> client using the RTF setting and forwarded externally, the attachment goes
> missing.

> What are the guidelines for using HTML, RTF or PLAIN TEXT and should all
> clients be using the same setting as each other AND as the server?

> Thanks very much for any assistance you can give.
> Cheers,
> Liz Flower
> System Admin

exchange message format - html or plain text

Post by Neo » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On the external clients, some of the things that can be happening.

1) They are receiving an attachment and it is called winmail.dat.  This
"attachment" would not only contain the attachment but the Rich Text
formatting.  Option here is to compose and send the message in plain text.

2) The Exchange server has been configured to send messages by plain text
and in MIME encoding.  This technology is still considered new and some old
Unix/Lotus servers will have a hard time with it.  (Uuencode is still the
safest encoding technique.)  Options can be changed on a per message basis
at the client.  During compose click on File > Properties then click the
Advanced button.

Message format HTML or plain text and how does Exchange send to external?
If an end user is just plucking someone out of their contact folder, odds
are the message will leave the site as plain text unless then defined the
person as receiving Rich Text. (After putting in the email addy and resolve
takes place, double click on it.  There should be a check box with text of
Always send Microsoft Outlook Rich Text.  Checked means they should get the
RTF or HTML without conversion taking place at the server.  Personal Address
Books [PAB] would also fall under this.)

Preferred Message format?
Internally I have found that most sites go with RTF because emphasis can be
made with just some basic formatting techniques and doesn't incur then
rendering problems HTML will have when viewing a message on an underclassed
machine.

Externally, stick with plain text since you would be compatible with other
mail clients.
--
Neo

PS - Comments based on end user support of 6,000 machines ranging from
Pentium 75's to the latest and greatest including support issues between IBM
Mainframe PROFS system and Exchange 5.5.

: Hi there,
:
[...]

Post by Kastner Ale » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi Liz,

Quote:> Some clients
> (Outlook98) have the message format drop-down box set to RTF but
dimmed out
>  it cannot be changed.  Most have it set to RTF but changeable.

What are the other clients? POP3-type, IMAP-type? RPC type - MS Exchange
Client, other Outlook, or (again POP3 and IMAP type) Outlook Express? Or
possibly OWA?

Quote:> The setting used in Exchange Administrator is Plain Text.  If clients
are
> nevertheless sending HTML messages, what format does exchange send

them in?

I guess that Plain Text = HTML without tags.

Quote:> I have noticed that attachments are always placed in a separate pane
at the
> bottom of an HTML email.

Yes, if RTF is disabled.

Quote:> When such an HTML email is sent to an internal
> client using the RTF setting and forwarded externally, the attachment
> goes missing.

The structure of RTF-message is different from that of non-RTF-message.
The behaviour you have observed depends on client program which
disassembles the message and reassembles it to forward. RTF message has
a no-name attachment containing Rich Text formatted message. MIME type
is MS-TNEF. Some client software can "forget" such attachments.

Quote:> What are the guidelines for using HTML, RTF or PLAIN TEXT and should
all
> clients be using the same setting as each other AND as the server?

Sorry, I don't feel I am able to issue guidelines. I am only studying
the coloss of Exchange.

Regards,
AK

1. exchange message format - html or plain text

[...]

2. pb exchange / sqlsrv

3. Public Folder Errors / Modified Permission

4. Message format -html or plain text

5. Forms - Cross Platform???

6. SMTP adresses: HELP ME PLEASE..quickly...

7. Confusion Over HTML, Rich Text and Plain Text Messages

8. HTML/Plain text Format Problems

9. HTML vs Plain Text format

10. Exchange converts plain text mail messages to HTML

11. Plain Text, Rich Text, or HTML ?