How to terminate spamming (with extreme prejudice)?

How to terminate spamming (with extreme prejudice)?

Post by stev » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 01:48:30

I'm a newbie to Exchange.  Several times I've found email in my
administrator mailbox subject "Notification: Inbound Mail Failure"  The
email is from an unknown sender and to yet another unknown addressee.  Topic
"Get out of Debt without a Loan" or something like that and priority "high"
of course.  Isn't this illegal?  How are these characters able to use my
server for spamming and how can I stop it?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 02:36:14

> I'm a newbie to Exchange.  Several times I've found email in my
> administrator mailbox subject "Notification: Inbound Mail Failure"  The
> email is from an unknown sender and to yet another unknown addressee.  Topic
> "Get out of Debt without a Loan" or something like that and priority "high"
> of course.  Isn't this illegal?

That depends on your local laws. Consult your lawyer.

Quote:>  How are these characters able to use my
> server for spamming

This is called Blind Carbon Copy.

Quote:> and how can I stop it?

By disconnecting your server from the Internet.
Confirm that your server configured in accordance with
 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/relay.asp

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

How to terminate spamming (with extreme prejudice)?

Post by Rick DeRouss » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 04:58:03

In the Exchange admin, go to the configuration > connections >  Internet mail
service > then go to the routing tab and select " Do not reroute incoming SMTP
mail" If you open up the message and go to option you can see the mail header
which will have the domain that you can also block. In the same IMS go to the
Connections tab and select " Filtering" then enter the offending domain to block
that particular domain.
Rick

> I'm a newbie to Exchange.  Several times I've found email in my
> administrator mailbox subject "Notification: Inbound Mail Failure"  The
> email is from an unknown sender and to yet another unknown addressee.  Topic
> "Get out of Debt without a Loan" or something like that and priority "high"
> of course.  Isn't this illegal?  How are these characters able to use my
> server for spamming and how can I stop it?

1. OL2002 - Exchange 5.5 / Extreme delay opening contents of Inbox

I have a user who is running Outlook 2002, with a mailbox on an
Exchange 5.5 server.  When trying to open an unread email, the Outlook
2002 delay box appears and it takes a significant amount of time (at
least 10sec) to open the email (2K).  This can be replicated when
trying to access this user's mailbox on other PC's, as well, with
different versions of Outlook.
Once the email has been opened (marked as read by Outlook), the email
can be opened or moved with no issue, but ALL unread emails are slow
to open at present.
It looks as though there is some level of corruption in the mailbox,
as best as I can figure.  Does anyone know of a way to scan for and
identify the offending email.
We had exmerged the contents of the mailbox, created a new one, and
merged the mail into the new mailbox.  Access issues went away until
he tried to archive some mail into a pst file, at which time the issue
has started in the new mailbox.
There are no other users on this particular Exchange server reporting
any problems.
Any help is appreciated.

2. Outlook Express attachmnets Problem

3. Extreme Stupidity on my behalf.

4. slow to get messages.

5. Duplicate messgaes when IMC under extreme load.

6. help required to start app development

7. Extreme Newbie Question

8. Meeting requests generates undeliverable

9. EXTREME URGENCY

10. Extreme Memory Usage

11. extreme-high Memory-usage with 5.5?!

12. Ex5 Nt4Sp2 Shutdown delay extreme

13. EXTREME newbie