A lot of socket errors (Event ID 9215)

Post by J . Huert » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

We administer the top Exchange server (a Hub-server) in an organization with
15 sites and 30 servers under this one. Through he (Exchange 5.5 + SP2) pass
successfully about 100.000 messages every day. But we find about 500 events
in Event Viewer. These events (ID 9215) say:

ID: 9215
Source: MSExchangeMTA
Type: Warning
" sockets error XXXXXXconnect() call was detected. The MTA will attempt to
recover the sockets connection. Control block index: 11. [BASE IL TCP/IP
DRVR 8 262] (12) "
For us, everytime, XXXXXX=0.

We've read in KB about this message, and we've found in the article Q170056
"In the 9215 error, the sockets  XXXXXX message indicates that the
connection was refused".
The article points that the cause is "that the server that the messages are
destined for is either down or cannot be reached on the network".

We have checked for three steps (ping, net view, and net use) with the
following results:
- ping              OK
-Net View       error 53 (The network path was not found.)
-Net Use        error 53 (The network path was not found.)

We are sure that our Host file are completed and free of errors for our
servers. We think, that via IP we shouldn't have any connectivity errors.
But, why appears these connection errors?
We have installed on this server TCP/IP & NETBEUI. The TCP/IP protocol is
configured to use DNS, WINS and LMHOST, and is not allowed to DNS  translate
Windows Names.
Is Exchange trying to connect via NETBEUI?

Please, somebody can helps us?

Thanks in advance.
    Jess Huerta

PS.- Sorry mi english, he is under construction.

A lot of socket errors (Event ID 9215)

Post by Charles Stephen Brashe » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I see the 9215 when another server in the organization is down.  They seem
to be logged until the server comes back up.  Which server is down is not
revealed.

Quote:> Hi,

> We administer the top Exchange server (a Hub-server) in an organization
with
> 15 sites and 30 servers under this one. Through he (Exchange 5.5 + SP2)
pass
> successfully about 100.000 messages every day. But we find about 500
events
> in Event Viewer. These events (ID 9215) say:

> ID: 9215
> Source: MSExchangeMTA
> Type: Warning
> " sockets error XXXXXXconnect() call was detected. The MTA will attempt to
> recover the sockets connection. Control block index: 11. [BASE IL TCP/IP
> DRVR 8 262] (12) "
> For us, everytime, XXXXXX=0.

> We've read in KB about this message, and we've found in the article
Q170056
> "In the 9215 error, the sockets  XXXXXX message indicates that the
> connection was refused".
> The article points that the cause is "that the server that the messages
are
> destined for is either down or cannot be reached on the network".

> We have checked for three steps (ping, net view, and net use) with the
> following results:
> - ping              OK
> -Net View       error 53 (The network path was not found.)
> -Net Use        error 53 (The network path was not found.)

> We are sure that our Host file are completed and free of errors for our
> servers. We think, that via IP we shouldn't have any connectivity errors.
> But, why appears these connection errors?
> We have installed on this server TCP/IP & NETBEUI. The TCP/IP protocol is
> configured to use DNS, WINS and LMHOST, and is not allowed to DNS
translate
> Windows Names.
> Is Exchange trying to connect via NETBEUI?

> Please, somebody can helps us?

> Thanks in advance.
>     Jess Huerta

> PS.- Sorry mi english, he is under construction.

A lot of socket errors (Event ID 9215)

Post by Paul Tayl » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I see the 9215 when another server in the organization is down.  They seem
> to be logged until the server comes back up.  Which server is down is not
> revealed.

You need to turn up the Diagnostics Logging on X400 to at least Minimum.

You'll then get '289' errors which tell you which connector it's been unable
to open.

Are all your connections X.400? Exchange does seem to struggle with lots (we
have 20 on one server). It gets in a muddle sometimes, I think it runs short
of connections. SP3 is supposed to fix some of these issues (but then so was
SP2 and it didn't).

We really ought to look at moving to Site Connectors.....

Paul Taylor, Computer Systems Manager
WSP Group plc, London, UK

1. Error Message Event ID 9215.

Event ID: 9215
Source: MSExchangeMTA
Category: Operating System
will attempt to recover the sockets connection. Control block index: 1.
[BASE IL TCP/IP DRVR 8 262] (12)

Microsofts knowledgebase (Q170056) describes a similar problem. It says:
    Event ID: 9215
   Source: MSExchangeMTA
   Type: Warning Category: Operating System
   A sockets error 10061 on a connect() call was detected.
   The MTA will attempt to recover the sockets connection.
   Control block index: 1. [BASE IL TCP/IP DRVR 8 274] (12)

CAUSE
The above errors indicate that the server that the messages are destined for
is either down or cannot be reached on the network.

Things to check for:
Try to ping the other server by both IP address and Servername.
Try to do a NET VIEW \\Servername to verify NetBios name resolution.
Try to do a NET USE \\Servername\IPC$ to verify rights issues.

If steps 1 and 2 fail, the problem is one of basic network connectivity.
Check the IP address and the WINS/DNS/HOSTS files.

If step 3 fails, check the Windows NT access rights for the Exchange Service
Account being used.

When I try a NET VIEW \\SERVER I get an error and I can't view the share
folders in this machine.

Does anyone have any idea???

TIA
Marcel

2. Can't synch calendars

3. Event Id 9215

4. Language templates

5. Event ID 9215

6. IMS fails to connect to ISP

7. Exchange and Outlook Express

8. event ID's 9225 and 9215

9. Exchange 5.5 event id: 9215

10. Event ID 9215 What can I do ?

11. A lot of Event ID : 9318 and Event ID 9277 in event viewer

12. MSExchangeMTA ID 9215