Abut Mail - Any ideas?

Post by Turb » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Just a question about Exchange server 5.0.

I've tried to get exchange to work on a little network. We have about 14
PC's and are connected to Internet via a router.

Now, I have managed to get Exchange Server to dial the ISP whenever someone
sends a mail. But I cannot get exchange to dial the ISP upon a "get mail"-
request! Doesnt Exchange server 5.0 support this???

If it does...what about the proxy server 1.0? How to get proxy server to
hang up the connection?

Thx.

T. Holm, LCS.
- Trying to implement SBS.

BTW: Does anyone know why I all of a sudden, I cant start the "manage
server" option? All files are there...but....hmmmm

Abut Mail - Any ideas?

Post by Amiri Jone » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Just a question about Exchange server 5.0.

> I've tried to get exchange to work on a little network. We have about 14
> PC's and are connected to Internet via a router.

> Now, I have managed to get Exchange Server to dial the ISP whenever someone
> sends a mail. But I cannot get exchange to dial the ISP upon a "get mail"-
> request! Doesnt Exchange server 5.0 support this???

> If it does...what about the proxy server 1.0? How to get proxy server to
> hang up the connection?

        The Exchange Internet Mail Service retrieves mail according to the
settings on the Dial-Up Connections tab.  Sending a 'get mail' request
from the client only retrieves the mail that is on the Exchange server,
and if you're using the Exchange Server service in your profile, that
isn't necessary, since the client is always 'getting' the mail from the
server.
        I don't know of a way offhand to force the IMS to dial into the ISP and
retrieve mail for the domain.  If you want 'reliable' retrieval, then
set the Dial-Up connection to connect every 30 minutes or so.
        Also, make sure you aren't trying to get mail from a POP3 mailbox.  If
your ISP is telling you that there's a login sequence to access the
mail, then it's probably a POP3 interface.  Call him up and ask him what
program you should use to get your mail.  If he tells you Eudora,
Outlook, Outlook Express, or anything like that, then sit him down and
ask about conversion to an SMTP feed.
        Introducing Proxy Server makes things more difficult, though.
Scheduling of mail connections can only be done when the Exchange
machine uses RAS installed on the same machine.  If RAS isn't installed,
then IMS assumes that it has a full-time connection to the net.  That
makes things a whole hell of a lot more difficult.

1. Dell Openmage - good idea or bad idea?

I'm in two minds whether or not to install this on the new servers.

Part of me says "good, you get to know when fans or temps are abnormal",
part of me says "it's additional crap that can break".

Any opinions on this - I tend to work on the theory that our Exchange
servers will just run exchange and scanmail, and anything else is probably
unnecessary.

regards
Paul
--
paul <at> spamcop.net

2. IPsec over Cluster

3. Incoming mail - any ideas

4. Slow slow slow....

5. delayed mail.....any ideas???

6. Adding 2nd Domain to receive mail

7. E-mail notification - any ideas please?

8. MSExchangeMTA error 9318

9. Message failure mail, anyone have any ideas

10. Any ideas? Sending E-mails

11. POP3 access and mail relaying - Any ideas?

12. delayed mail.....any ideas???

13. E-mail notification - any ideas please?